Still no motive released in Tupelo shooting

By Danza Johnson/NEMS Daily Journal

TUPELO – Three days after two people were shot to death in a home on Chapman Drive, police still are searching for a motive.
On Friday, bond was set at $1 million for 26-year-old Travon D. Brown, the man accused of killing Cornellius Harris, 22, and Felicia Ruffin, 36, on Wednesday.
Brown suffered a gunshot wound to his hand during the incident but it is unclear whether the wound was self-inflicted. According to police, there was a sign of a struggle in the home.
Detective Brandon Garrett said Tupelo police are investigating what led to the shooting.
“We have not found a motive yet and sometimes in cases like this, we never do,” said Garrett. “But we are still working very hard on doing so. Our officers made a quick response to the scene and we were able to take the suspect into custody and secure the scene very quickly.”
Garrett said when officers arrived at the home, they found both victims in the living room and Brown in the bathroom. He surrendered without incident and was taken to the North Mississippi Medical Center and treated for his hand injury.
A gun believed to be the murder weapon also was recovered at the scene.
Brown was escorted into court Friday wearing a white and red jumpsuit with a heavily bandaged right arm. Four people sat in the courtroom as Justice Court Judge Ricky Thompson directed the bond hearing.
Brown has been living in the area for only a few months and is a resident of Clarksdale. Police asked that his bond be set high due to the nature of his crime and because they felt he was a flight risk.
Brown objected.
“Your honor, I disagree with them saying I’m a flight risk,” Brown said. “I also received injuries during this incident that I have to have medical treatment for. I wouldn’t run because that is admitting that I am guilty and I am not guilty of killing anyone. I think putting me on house arrest would be better for me.”
Thompson ignored Brown’s suggestion.
Lee County Coroner Carolyn Gillentine-Green said preliminary autopsy reports will be available early next week.
Wednesday’s incident marked the second and third alleged murders in Tupelo this year. On New Year’s Day, 20-year-old Bradley Triplet was shot to death at Club I-Con on McCullough Boulevard.

Click video to hear audio