Suspect charged in Fulton shooting

By Adam Armour/The Itawamba County Times

Investigators with the Fulton Police Department have made an arrest in connection with last week’s shooting on Martin Luther King Street.

Anton Colburn, 37, of 114 East Kennedy Street, Fulton, was charged last Thursday, Jan. 19, with aggravated assault for his alleged involvement in the Jan. 17 shooting of Mark Green.

During his initial court appearance, Colburn was given a bond in the amount of $15,000 by Itawamba County Justice Court Judge Harold Holcomb. Colburn is currently being held in the Itawamba County Jail, on hold by the Mississippi Department of Corrections for violating the conditions of his probation.

The shooting occurred just after 5 p.m. on Jan. 19. Following a 911 call, officials with the FPD responded to the home of Charles Stone at 702 Martin Luther King Street, where the victim lived. Green was found lying in the floor, suffering from a gunshot wound to the back of the head.

According to Fulton Police Chief Reggie Johnson, Green was shot with a small caliber handgun at close range, just beneath the ear. He was home alone at the time of the shooting and made the 911 call himself before passing out due to shock.

Emergency personnel rushed Green to the North Mississippi Medical Center where his wounds were treated and his condition stabilized. He was released from the hospital on the same night as the shooting.

According to Johnson, investigators were given the names of two suspects, one of whom was Colburn. Both were picked up that night. The second suspect was released, but police held Colburn.

After further investigation, Colburn was formally charged on Thursday.

Johnson said the motive for the shooting remains unclear. He said he believes, however, that the shot was definitely meant to kill.

The chief added that shootings within the city limits are extremely unusual.

“Even in our higher-crime areas, we’re fortunate that we don’t have many people carrying firearms,” he said. “That’s what’s kind of unusual.”

Johnson said the investigation into the shooting is ongoing.

Click video to hear audio