TUPELO – Northeast Mississippi media companies will partner in a tornado relief effort Memorial Day weekend to help storm victims in Northeast Mississippi and west Alabama.
Participants in the May 28 telethon will be WTVA, the Daily Journal, URBan Radio and Mississippi Radio Group.
Representatives from the print and broadcast companies will be in the food court area at The Mall at Barnes Crossing from 10 a.m. to noon on the Saturday before Memorial Day. Visitors will be able to meet their favorite media personalities and donate to the effort.
WTVA will air a telethon for those two hours, and the radio stations will hold live remote broadcasts.
“It is a great opportunity for the media in Mississippi to give back to northeast Mississippi and Northwest Alabama,” said WTVA Station Manager Phil Sullivan.
Money raised will benefit victims of the April 27 tornadoes that tore through the region. It will go to the CREATE Foundation to be distributed through local chapters of the Red Cross and Salvation Army.
Victims from outside Northeast Mississippi, including those in Alabama, also will be able to receive money from the event.
Cellular South will provide free phones for use during the telethon.
Mississippi Radio Group includes Sunny 93.3, Z 98.5 and Miss 98. URBan Radio includes Wizard 106.7, KZ 103 and Power 92 Jamz.
Donors can designate a county or community on their checks. If a donor does not designate a particular place, it will go into a local fund and be distributed to the Red Cross and Salvation Army.
“At a time like this when our audiences have such a need, it is a great opportunity to pool our resources,” said Alisha Wilson, the Daily Journal’s circulation sales manager. “We can really have a tremendous impact.”
Donors also can contribute before and after the event by sending a check to the CREATE Foundation – PO Box 1053, Tupelo, MS 38802 – or by visiting the foundation’s website, www.createfoundation.com.
Contact Chris Kieffer at (662) 678-1590 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
– Who is participating: Local media companies will be hosting a tornado relief effort. It will include WTVA, the Daily Journal, URBan Radio and Mississippi Radio Group.
– When: Saturday, May 28, 10 a.m. to noon
– Where: Food Court at The Mall at Barnes Crossing.
– How You Can Help: Visitors to the mall will be able to make in-person donations. Residents also will be able to call in to a telethon that will be aired on WTVA to make a donation.
– Donors can contribute before and after the event by sending a check to the CREATE Foundation – PO Box 1053, Tupelo, MS 38802 – or by visiting the foundation’s website, www.createfoundation.com.
Chris Kieffer/NEMS Daily Journal