Thoroughfare plan's East Main meeting delayed

By NEMS Daily Journal

TUPELO – Tupelo’s Major Thoroughfare Program Oversight Committee late Tuesday canceled its special-called meeting that was scheduled for today in City Council chambers which was to have involved approval of bids for a major upgrade on almost one mile of East Main Street.
Kim Hannah in Tupelo’s municipal finance office said bids opened last week will remain under review.
The city is under no deadline pressure to approve a contract, she said.
East Main is scheduled to be expanded to five lanes from Veterans Boulevard east to Willow Road, and to three lanes from Willow east to Hillsdale Drive.
The MTP, overseen by a volunteer committee, advertised for bids, which were received until May 24.
The project, which was supposed to have been completed before the end of the 1990s, was shifted on the list of priorities in the voter approved special program, but not without controversy.
Once started, the project is expected to take about a year to complete.
MTP Program Director Phillip Harbor said Tuesday the East Main bid was the only item on the agenda for the meeting.
An additional stretch of East Main – between U.S. Highway 45 and Veterans – will be widened in tandem with a state-funded project creating a corridor from downtown to the Elvis Presley Birthplace amp& Museum.
That project could start late this year but has been delayed because of federal paperwork requirements.
The MTP, initiated in 1991, is in its fifth five-year phase.