By Lena Mitchell/NEMS Daily Journal
RIPLEY – The county’s annual tribute to senior citizens soon will be played out at the Tippah County Fairgrounds.
On Friday, beginning at 8 a.m., Northeast Aging Services and TRIAD will present a day of fun activities, important information, good food and door prizes to engage older residents of Tippah County for Senior Citizen Appreciation Day and Health Fair.
“People really enjoy this event,” said Pat Rodgers of Northeast Aging Services. “They’ve been asking me about it all year long and some have never missed it.”
The number of attendees increases each year, and they’re never disappointed by the meal the sheriff’s office prepares. This year they will be served barbecue, said Sheriff Karl Gaillard.
Tippah County Hospital staff will provide health screenings, including blood pressure checks, diabetes checks and others, with cholesterol screenings for a small fee. All other screenings are at no charge.
“We started this annual event in 1993 with a health fair then expanded it to an appreciation day in 1994 and it’s been going ever since,” Rodgers said.
Dozens of vendors set up information booths with important information such as assisted living and nursing home facilities, home health services, independent living for the blind, medical supplies and equipment, rural legal services.
Many of the vendors also give away promotional items and there are many door prizes throughout the day.
One of this year’s speakers will be state Sen. Bill Stone.
Local officials always bring important information that senior citizens need to take advantage of all the services available to them, as well as to protect themselves from scams, such as:
* Medical fraud, such as miracle cures or special deals.
* Home repairs with “free inspections” that lead to unnecessary repairs by people unknown or unlicensed in the local community.
* Insurance fraud, with exaggerated benefits for unusually low rates.
At A Glance
Senior Citizen Appreciation Day and Health Fair
• When: 8 a.m. Friday.
• Where: Tippah County Fairgrounds
• Cost: No admission charge. Small fee for cholesterol screenings.
• Activities: Health screenings, lunch, door prizes, information booths, entertainment, speakers and more.