By Dennis Seid/NEMS Daily Journal
Tupelo Regional gets $5 million federal grant for runway extension project, according to Sen. Cochran’s office.
• Entitle Amount $ 1,125,175.00
• Discretionary Amount $ 4,705,525.00
• Total Grant Amount $ 5,830,700.00
Description of the grant purpose from the FAA:
Acquire Safety Equipment and/or Fencing, Extend Runway – 18/36, Install Guidance Signs, Rehabilitate Runway Lighting – 18/36, Rehabilitate Taxiway
· This grant will provide federal funding for the Tupelo Regional Airport in Mississippi.
· The runway extension will allow the runway to meet the operational needs of the airport.
The installation of new taxiway guidance signs will enable the airport to meet Part 139 requirements.
· This project will rehabilitate the south connector taxiway pavement that has reached the end of its useful life.
· This project will rehabilitate the electrical vault. The vault contains runway lighting equipment that will be upgraded to serve the existing runway and the runway extension.
· This grant will provide funds to purchase aircraft rescue and fire fighting equipment required to meet Part 139 requirements.