UPDATE: Classes resume after Tupelo High building evacuated

Tupelo School District LogoBy Chris Kieffer

Daily Journal

TUPELO – The fine arts building at Tupelo High School was evacuated for about an hour on Thursday morning after a fan motor emitted smoke.

All of the students in the building were evacuated to the Performing Arts Center and were safe, said TPSD Communications Director Kay Bishop. Operation has since resumed as normal in the D building, which houses band, chorus and theater.

The evacuation occurred between 10 and 10:15 a.m. after a fan motor on a lighting dimmer system malfunctioned and caused smoke in one of the theater classes. Power was shut off and the building was evacuated. It did not cause a fire.

Crews checked on the motor before power was restored and classes resumed. It did not affect the rest of the campus.


Click video to hear audio