By Gene Phelps/NEMS Daily Journal
Two of Northeast Mississippi’s top high school golf teams – Tupelo and Itawamba AHS – are playing against each other a lot this spring.
For the record, Tupelo, last year’s 5A state champion, won the first meeting. IAHS, the defending 4A state title holder, won Tuesday’s rematch.
“We’re playing each other for the competition,” THS golf Mark Enis said. “Players from both teams always give their best effort. It’s a rivalry, but the players all get along well.”
The coaches, Enis and Michael Nanney, get along well, too.
“Tupelo’s a really solid team,” Nanney said. “Golf in Northeast Mississippi is very strong. If you can compete with teams in Northeast Mississippi, you can compete with anybody in the state.”
Nanney’s team features two of the state’s best in senior Chad Ramey, a Mississippi State signee, and junior Ally McDonald, a recent MSU commitment. Ramey won last year’s junior state amateur while McDonald played in the U.S. Junior Amateur Championships.
“It’s a unique situation for a high school golf team,” Nanney said, referring to his one-two punch.
Tupelo’s lineup features junior Fletcher Johnson, who played in the U.S. Amateur last year. The Golden Wave also has two standout sophomores in Wilson Reeder and Noah West. Both players have won medalist honors this season, with Reeder’s coming against a field of more than 100 golfers at a regional event in Louisiana.
“I’m proud of our golfers,” Enis said. “I know the expectations are high for them. We just want them to play consistent golf and maintain the round.”
The next two meetings between Tupelo and IAHS are scheduled for Monday at the Natchez Trace Golf Club and Tuesday at the Fulton Country Club.
Here’s a list of the MHSAA’s state championship dates for spring and remaining winter sports:
- The powerlifting state championships are scheduled for April 17 at the Mississippi Coliseum in Jackson.
- Fastpitch softball playoffs begin April 30 with the championship series scheduled for May 21-22.
- Baseball playoffs open April 30 with the championships scheduled for May 21-26 in Pearl at Trustmart Park.
- Track and field’s championships will be held May 14-15 at Pearl High School’s facility. The North and South state meets are May 8.
- Tennis will be played May 10-11 in Jackson and Ridgeland.
- Golf will be played at various locations around the state: girls May 3-4, boys May 10-14.
On the run
The 40th annual Daily Journal Relays are scheduled for April 10 at Tupelo High School’s football stadium.
Pontotoc’s girls and Tupelo’s boys are the defending champions in the large school competition while Corinth’s girls and Ripley’s boys were the small school champs.