City voters today will decide whether to extend the Major Thoroughfare Program another five years for Phase 5.
• Who can vote: Registered voters in Tupelo.
• Poll times: Polls open at 7 a.m. and close at 7 p.m.
• On the ballot: Voters will choose between continuing the 10-mill special ad valorem tax levy for street improvements or discontinuing it.
• If it passes: City property taxes will remain at 32.47 mills – with 10 mills set aside for the large-scale street improvements recommended by the MTP committee and approved by the City Council.
Proposed improvements for the upcoming phase include widening portions of Eason and Veterans boulevards, East Main, South Gloster, South Thomas and West Jackson streets, as well as adding right-hand turn lanes to North Gloster Street near The Mall at Barnes Crossing.
- If the vote fails: the program will end, the proposed road projects will get shelved, and taxes will decrease to 22.47 mills.
Where to vote
- Ward, precinct and location.
1, 1 . . . . . Bel Air Center
1, 2 . . . . . Tupelo Furniture Market
2, 3 . . . . . The Link Centre 1800
3, 4 . . . . . Lawndale Presbyterian
3, 5 . . . . . Cornerstone Methodist
4, 6 . . . . . C.C. Augustus Center
4, 7 . . . . . Calvary Baptist
5, 8 . . . . . Veterans Park
5, 9 . . . . . University of MS Bldg
6, 10 . . . . Wildwood Baptist
6, 11 . . . . Harrisburg Baptist
7, 12 . . . . Haven Acres Center
7, 13 . . . . First United Pentecostal
NEMS Daily Journal