UPDATE: Authorities say kidnapped girls didn't eat for days

By Daily Journal Staff Reports and Wire Reports

UPDATE: Union County Sheriff’s Department also arrested Richard J. Norman, 24, of Highway 9, Guntown, on a probation violation in connection with the Adam Mayes case.


UPDATE: 3:29 p.m. – ADRIAN SAINZ,Associated Press and HOLBROOK MOHR,Associated Press

GUNTOWN, Miss. — Authorities say two girls abducted from their Tennessee home told officers who rescued them that they went three days without food or water.

Master Sgt. Steve Crawford is with the Mississippi Highway Patrol and was among the officers who found the girls. He said Friday during a news conference that the girls were alarmed when authorities found them, but that they did not cry.

Officials at the news conference also said that the man accused of kidnapping the girls, Adam Mayes, did not say anything before fatally shooting himself.

Crawford says officers were combing the woods behind a church when Mayes, 12-year-old Alexandria Bain and 8-year-old Kyliyah Bain were spotted face down on the ground.


UPDATE: 2:18 p.m. – Three neighbors of the man suspected of kidnapping and killing members of the Bain family were arrested Thursday in connection to the ongoing investigation.
Ronnie Rich,43, was arrested for possession of a firearm by a convicted felon. His wife Tona Prince, 40, was arrested on the same charge and his son Jeffery Karr, 22, was arrested for an outstanding Mississippi Department of Corrections Warrant.
The family lived on Highway 9 near Mayes in the Alpine community.
The agency didn’t disclose how the three in custody are related to the Mayes investigation except to confirm they are.


UPDATE: 11:36 a.m. – From Associated Press …

Spokesman: 2 kidnapped girls back with family
ADRIAN SAINZ,Associated Press
HOLBROOK MOHR,Associated Press

GUNTOWN, Miss. (AP) — A family spokesman says two girls have been reunited with relatives after being rescued from a man wanted by the FBI for killing their mother and sister.

David Livingston, a family friend, said Friday morning that sisters 12-year-old Alexandria Bain and 8-year-old Kyliyah Bain are at home in Tennessee and are “doing well.”

Authorities tracked 35-year-old Adam Mayes to a wooded area in north Mississippi on Thursday evening, where they said he shot himself in the head. He was wanted for the killing of Jo Ann Bain and 14-year-old Adrienne Bain.

Livingston said the girls’ father, Gary Bain, is ecstatic about their return, but is also distraught over the death of his wife and older daughter.


UPDATE: 10:13 a.m. – CNN is reporting that police have arrested three more people in connection with the kidnappings of Tennessee mother Jo Ann Bain and her daughters, a law enforcement source said today. According to CNN, the arrests include allegations of making a false statement to authorities and illegal possession of a firearm, the source said.

More information on this as it is available.


UPDATE: 9:51 a.m. – From The Associated Press – Adam Mayes had been investigated in 2010 on allegations of child abuse and possessing child pornography, according to records from the Madison County Sheriff’s Office in Jackson, Tenn. A family member claimed to have seen Mayes nude as he shaved the legs of a nude 7-year-old girl.

Mayes denied the allegations, and he was never charged. An investigator concluded the claim about the abuse, as well as the allegation he had child pornography, were unfounded.

The Associated Press isn’t naming the child in the case because of the nature of the abuse allegation.

Ford and Tennessee Bureau of Investigation Director Mark Gwyn said authorities still had many unanswered questions and were continuing their investigation.


UPDATE: 6:16 a.m. – From The Associated Press – GUNTOWN, Miss. (AP) — Two girls who police say were kidnapped by a man accused of killing their mother and older sister have been released from a Memphis hospital.

Sara Burnett, a spokeswoman for Le Bonheur Children’s Hospital in Memphis, said 12-year-old Alexandria Bain and 8-year-old Kyliyah Bain were treated and released from the hospital early Friday.

Burnett said she didn’t have details on their conditions, but law enforcement officers said the girls were suffering from exposure, dehydration and poison ivy after they were rescued Thursday in northern Mississippi.

Authorities say 35-year-old Adam Mayes was pronounced dead after he shot himself when he was found in a densely wooded area in Union County.


ALPINE – An early morning press conference held by the FBI and Tennessee Bureau of Investigation revealed more details into Thursday’s capture of American’s most-wanted fugitive Adam Mayes.

Mayes, 35, had eluded authorities for roughly one week after allegedly killing a Tennessee woman and her teenage daughter and kidnapping two younger daughters.

Jo Ann Bain, 31, and Adrienne Bain, 14, were found dead Saturday in shallow graves behind Mayes’ home in the Alpine community. Alexandria Bain, 12, and Kyliyah Bain, 8, had been missing.

“The FBI received a tip concerning a possible sighting of Adam Mayes in a wooded area near Zion Hill Church on County Road 183,” said Aaron T. Ford, special agent in charge of the FBI’s Memphis Division.

Authorities assigned two agencies to take the lead: the law enforcement arm of Mississippi Wildlife, Fisheries & Parks and the Special Operations Group of the Mississippi Highway Patrol.

Thirty-one members of those groups were dispatched to the area, where they split into two teams to conduct a search.

At 6:50 p.m., one of the officers saw Alexandria about 100 yards behind the church, Ford said. Officers immediately ordered Mayes to “show your hands.”

At that point, Mayes pulled a semi-automatic weapon from his waist band and shot himself in the head.

The two girls were laying on the ground nearby and were subsequently rescued and transported by ambulance to Baptist Hospital in New Albany.
They later were transferred to LeBonheur in Memphis.

Ford said that the girls were relieved to be rescued and that they were hungry and thirsty.
They also suffered from dehydration, exposure and poison ivy.

Ford would not disclose whether or not the two girls were aware their mother and sister are deceased. Nor would he disclose any conversation Mayes might have had with the girls during their capture.

Mark Gwyn, director of Tennessee Bureau of Investigation, said that the investigation is still ongoing.

“We still have several interviews to do from the Tennessee side, we still have some trials and prosecution to get through,” Gwyn said, adding that “if we determined anyone in Tennessee or Mississippi assisted Adam Mayes while he was on the run, we’ll do everything possible to make sure they’re prosecuted for their involvement.”

Daniel McMullen, special agent in charge of the FBI Mississippi Division, thanked all the participating law-enforcement agencies as well as members of the community.

Authorities also said that Gov. Phil Bryant’s office will hold a press conference about the state’s role later today.

Click video to hear audio