UPDATE: House fire in Houlka

HOULKA – Residents of a house at the corner of Reed and Oak streets were awakened by the alarm of a smoke detector early Tuesday morning, quickly got out of the house and called the fire department.
“We give those things away,” said Brock Owings, spokesman for Houlka Fire Department. “It certainly paid for itself today. No one was hurt.”
Owings said firefighters arrived on the scene about 5:50 a.m., and found fire in the attic above the kitchen. He said firefighters quickly extinquished the blaze.
“It appears to have started in the wiring but we aren’t sure at this point,” said Owings. “The ceiling in the kitchen was heavily damaged and the rest of the house suffered smoke and water damage. The fire was contained in the attic and kitchen.”
Owings said the mother and child living at the wood-frame structure were not harmed. Six firemen responded to the blaze and Owings said no firefighters were hurt at the fire.
Firefighters were on the scene about an hour.

Floyd Ingram / Chickasaw Journal

Click video to hear audio