UPDATE: Parvin bail decision expected Tuesday

By Patsy R. Brumfield

Daily Journal

ABERDEEN – Dr. David Parvin must wait until Tuesday to know if he’s been granted bail to prepare for his second murder trial.
Parvin, 74, is accused in the 2007 shooting death of his wife, Joyce, at their Monroe County home. He insists it was an accident.
A jury found him guilty in 2011 and he was sentenced to life in prison, but a 2013 ruling from the Mississippi Supreme Court overturned his conviction and ordered a new trial.
Friday, Parvin’s attorneys asked Circuit Judge Paul Funderburk to grant their client bail so he could better assist with his defense as they work toward the Nov. 12 start of his trial in Aberdeen.
A defense psychologist told Funderburk that the retired Mississippi State University economics professor is better off emotionally out of custody than in the Monroe County Jail, where he’s been held since his June 25 release from prison.
State prosecutors insist Parvin has an “erratic” personality and they fear for his and/or the public’s safety if he’s released.
Funderburk initially ordered bail for Parvin before he was released from prison near Meridian, but the judge revoked the bond after Parvin got into a verbal and physical scuffle with Monroe deputies when he emotionally asserted that he had been ordered free by the state’s highest court.
After a morning-long hearing Friday, Funderburk told both sides he hoped to make the bail decision by Monday.
But Monroe Circuit Clerk Judy Butler said his office informed her Monday that he would not issue his decision “until Tuesday afternoon.”