UPDATE: Suspect charged with double murder in Tupelo

By Danza Johnson/NEMS Daily Journal

UPDATE: TUPELO – Three days after two people were shot to death in a home on Chapman Drive, police still are searching for a motive.
On Friday, bond was set at $1 million for 26-year-old Travon D. Brown, the man accused of killing Cornellius Harris, 22, and Felicia Ruffin, 36.
Brown suffered a gunshot wound to his hand during the incident but it is unclear whether the wound was self-inflicted. According to police, there was a sign of a struggle in the home.
Detective Brandon Garrett said Tupelo police are investigating what led to the shooting.
“We have not found a motive yet and sometimes in cases like this, we never do,” said Garrett. “But we are still working very hard on doing so. Our officers made a quick response to the scene and we were able to take the suspect into custody and secure the scene very quickly.”

Read more in Saturday’s NEMS Daily Journal newspaper.


TUPELO – Police aren’t saying what the motive might have been in what they describe as a double murder in the city late Wednesday night.
Travon Brown, 26, is charged with two counts of murder in the deaths of Cornellius Harris, 22, and Felicia Ruffin, 36, both of 1108 Chapman St. He’ll have his bond set today in Lee County Justice Court.
According to authorities, officers responded to a call that shots had been fired at a home on Chapman not long before midnight. After arriving, police found the two victims and the suspects in the home.
Brown, who had suffered a gunshot wound to the hand, was taken to North Mississippi Medical Center, was treated and then later taken into custody. It is unclear how Brown received the wound.
According to witnesses on the scene, Harris and Ruffin had lived in the home a few months. Harris was a waiter and bartender at Woody’s and the Blue Canoe.
David Wilbanks, property manager at Woody’s, said both deaths were a shock.
“Snoop was probably one of the best people you would ever meet,” said Wilbanks, calling Harris by his nickname. “They both were good people. They loved each other. I told them to get out of that neighborhood.”
Wilbanks said they both had children but he wasn’t sure if they lived in the home. Police say no children were present at the time of the shooting.
Adam Morgan, owner of Blue Canoe, also said Harris was a hard worker and was well-respected by his co-workers.
Several people stood in the street on Chapman as police taped off the house Wednesday night, restricting people from entering or exiting the crime scene.
A young man and older woman stood in the street screaming hysterically when officers gave them the news that the occupants of the home had been shot to death.
“Please tell me it’s not him, please tell me it’s not my brother,” one man cried as several people tried to console him. “They killed him, they killed my brother.”
Nearly a dozen police vehicles lined the small residential street just west of North Gloster and south of Jackson Street, their flashing blue lights illuminating every inch of the area. About an hour after the initial call came in, both bodies were transported to North Mississippi Medical Center.
Harris’ pit bull dog that lived in the home was taken away by an animal control officer, despite the fact that his family requested to take the dog.
Wednesday’s killings were the second and third of the year in Tupelo. Police plan a press conference on the case today at 9 a.m.

Click video to hear audio