So I guess I like a challenge.
This month, many of my friends are taking part in a Facebook Thanksgiving meme. Every day for the month of November, you’re supposed to update your Facebook status by stating what you’re thankful for that day. The original meme promises it gets harder to come up with things to be thankful for as the month goes on.
My question: Really? Is it really so hard to come up with about 30 reasons to be thankful? I think a lot of people, no matter who you are or where you are in life, have a lot to be thankful for.
So, rather than posting my half-silly, half-serious “Things I’m Thankful For” list on Facebook, I thought I’d do it here. Like I said, I guess I like a challenge.
I don’t have room for my entire list – I’lll post the full list on my blog – but here are the highlights.
– My parents, my cousins, my friends. I have the best in the world.
– Perhaps this should be first on the list, but I’m really thankful for whatever divine intervention stopped me from getting either seriously injured or even killed in two pretty scary incidents this year. This could’ve easily been my last year on earth, but for whatever reason, I’m still here.
– My best friend Hannah, who looks out for me better than I look out for myself.
– My best friend Crissy … for pretty much the same reason.
– Hannah and Crissy’s moms, who treat me like I’m their own.
– My friend Debbie and our annual trip to Memphis. We see “Gone With the Wind” at the Orpheum and frolic across the city, and there’s always much fun to be had.
– My job. I wish everyone else had one, too.
– My iPod. I put it through so much abuse every day, but it seems to love me all the same.
– Twitter. The social networking site has connected me with old friends and helped me make new ones. Couldn’t ask for more.
– The music of Jason Isbell, Gossip, Ladyhawke and Elvis Perkins, which has been the soundtrack to my life this year.
– My old Converse sneakers. They’ve been my go-to shoe since college, and they still hold up well.
– My new, black glitter Converse sneakers. I still really haven’t found a use for them, but they sure make me happy.
– My phone. It’s probably taken more abuse than my iPod, and it certainly doesn’t get the kind of love I give my music player.
– My favorite TV shows, like “Supernatural,” “Glee,” “Dexter” and “Smallville,” for keeping me entertained.
– Friends, family, co-workers and others who have different viewpoints – especially differing political views – than I do. They keep me balanced.
– Saving the best for last: My grandma.
Contact Daily Journal writer Sheena Barnett at 678-1580 or firstname.lastname@example.org. Also read her entertainment blog, Scene Now, at NEMS360.com/pages/scene_now.
Sheena Barnett/NEMS Daily Journal