By NEMS Daily Journal
Make Congress abide by the same rules
Regardless of our political ties, we need to pass these suggestions by Warren Buffet. If enough people in each state petition the government for this Congressional Reform Act, it can be placed on the ballot and voted into law regardless of what Congress wants. Congress definitely won’t do this on their own due to the following suggestions affecting them directly.
Congressional Reform Act:
1. No pension or tenure for Congress. A congressman/woman collects a salary while in office and receives no pay when they’re out of office.
2. Congress (past, present and future) participates in Social Security. All funds in the congressional retirement fund move to the Social Security system immediately. All future funds flow into the Social Security system and Congress participates with the American people. It may not be used for any other purpose.
3. Congress can purchase their own retirement plan just as all Americans do.
4. Congress will no longer vote themselves a pay raise. Congressional pay will rise by the lower of CPI or 3 percent.
5. Congress loses their current health care system and participates in the same health care system as the American people.
6. Congress must equally abide by all laws they impose on the American people.
7. All contracts with past and present congressmen/women are void effective when this Congressional Reform Act becomes law. The American people did not make this contract with the congressmen/women. The congressmen/women made all of these contracts for themselves. Serving in Congress is an honor, not a career. The Founding Fathers envisioned citizen legislators, so ours should serve their term(s), then go home and back to work.
This is how you fix Congress! Don’t you think it’s about time? If you agree with this concept, pass the information along to as many people as you can and let’s work to get this Congressional Reform Act on the ballot soon.
Lawrence G. Murrell