“When I got here, I just really felt that these people needed the word,” he said, “They don’t need my opinion – they just need the word.”
McCain recently celebrated the birth of his first child, Avery Kate, with his wife, Brittany. He said the church has been so good to his family during this special time.
The pastor wrote a purpose statement for the church based on the saying, “We crucify today between two thieves – yesterday and tomorrow.”
“I like to focus on one day a time,” he said, going on to explain that includes worship, prayer, devotional time, serving and loving people.
He said the key to outreach is building relationships.
“Learn about their life, and then see what the Lord does – he’s in control.”
The church is also home to a Hispanic mission. Elvis Garcia, who serves in Ripley, asked to meet at the church when he noticed several families were driving from Tupelo each week. The group started meeting in the gym at South Green on Sunday nights and has been continually growing.
“It’s just wonderful to see what has happened,” said McCain.
• Denomination: Baptist Missionary Association
• Pastor: Blake McCain
• Established: 1971
• Average attendance: 65-75
• Worship style: traditional, working toward blended
• Worship days: Sunday School 9 a.m., worship 10 a.m. and 5 p.m., Hispanic mission 6 p.m.; Wed. – prayer meeting 6 p.m.
• Address: 3185 S. Green St., Tupelo
• Phone: (662) 842-8447
• Email: email@example.com
• Purpose statement: “To live each day loving God, loving people and sharing Jesus”
The Daily Journal spotlights churches in the community. To nominate a church, contact Leslie Criss at firstname.lastname@example.org.