Press release from the Mississippi Main Street Association:
JACKSON, Miss. - The Mississippi Main Street Association (MMSA) celebrated achievements of Mississippi Main Street communities, Main Street Managers and volunteers at the 2012 Annual Awards Meeting and Luncheon held at the Old Capitol Inn in downtown Jackson.
The presentation of awards was made by MMSA Executive Director Bob Wilson and 2012 Board President Barry Plunkett. Chief Justice Bill Waller, Jr. of the Mississippi Supreme Court gave special remarks to the crowd of more than 225 representatives of downtown revitalization programs all over the state.
MMSA currently has 51 active Main Street Communities throughout the state as well as seven Downtown Networks and several Association members.
Winners from Northeast Mississippi:
• Best new signage: Bill Warren's Signs in Water Valley
• Best public improvement project: Haire Wealth Management Green Space in Tupelo
• Best creative fundraising project: Postcards & Pizza in Water Valley
• Best image or branding promotion: Open for Business in Tupelo
• Best newsletter (population over 5,000): Amory Main Street Newsletter
• Best retail promotion: Downtown Tupelo Cash Mob
• Spirit of Main Street Award: Pep Rally in the Park in Amory
• Best arts event: Arts, Beats and Eats in New Albany
• Best special event: Second Annual Community Sing-Along in Water Valley
• Charles O. Beasley Scholarship Award: Mickey Howley in Water Valley