The first Dan Mullen press conference of the season is in the books, and we learned a few things. I will do this the best way I know how – with bullet points. Here we go.
OH WAIT. I have some video of offensive coordinator Les Koenning, so CLICK HERE. OK, here we go for reals.
• We have an injuries update: Mullen said tight end Malcolm Johnson has a pectoral injury (he hadn't revealed that detail before) and will be doubtful for the next couple of weeks at least. He also said that backup offensive lineman Templeton Hardy is doubtful this week with an ankle.
• Mullen said if there are any suspensions, they will be announced Saturday.
• Senior Brandon Heavens has moved to the outside, which could mean more playing time for him. "We've got five senior wide receivers, and I want to make sure we get opportunities to get them on the field. If not our fastest, one of our fastest wideouts. He gives you that deep threat going on the outside that he can stretch the field vertically with his speed."
• On the right tackle battle between Damien Robinson and Charles Siddoway: "I see both of those guys playing, and hopefully playing significant reps in the first game to get experience under their belt."
• Mullen isn't sure yet when or how redshirt freshman QB Dak Prescott will get on the field, but he will get out there. "Just go out there and function in your first play. Get that off your shoulders. I think that first play is the hardest one."
• On starting QB Tyler Russell being ready to take over: "I see him ready for the game, can't wait to get out there on the field. I'm sure he'll have those nervous first-game jitters. But he's ready to go have a great year."
• Right guard Tobias Smith, who's been recovering from a knee injury, is expected to start this week. "Right now, the plan is he's going to start for us. I want to let him break himself back in. Don't know if he'll play the entire game."