HOOVER, Ala. | When I came down through the Wynfrey Hotel lobby about 7:15 this morning, several fans of a certain team were already gathered behind the ropes. It's Day 3 here, the final day of the circus.
And look, the media's preseason All-SEC team is out, for what it's worth (and it ain't worth much, as you're about to see). Mississippi State had three players selected: DT Fletcher Cox (second team), OL Gabe Jackson (third team) and OL Addison Lawrence (third team).
Order of finish was picked as well. In the West (first-place votes in parentheses): Alabama (111), LSU (30), Arkansas (23), MSU (1), Auburn, Ole Miss (2). In the East: South Carolina (114), Georgia (38), Florida (12), Tennessee (2), Kentucky (1) and Vanderbilt. Alabama was picked to win the overall title.
OK, let's get to a few links this morning.
• Auburn coach Gene Chizik downplayed his exchange with an NCAA official during the SEC spring meetings, and is just wanting to focus on the coming season.
• Georgia coach Mark Richt is on shaky ground after a decade-plus in Athens.
• In our SEC notebook, you can read about Kentucky's defense, rules changes, officials getting in shape, and Tennessee QB Tyler Bray.
Now, here's what's on tap for today.
Session I (8:30-11:20 a.m.)
ALABAMA CRIMSON TIDE
• Coach: Nick Saban. Players: S Mark Barron, LB Dont'a Hightower, RB Trent Richardson.
• 2010 record: 10-3 (5-3 SEC)
• Postseason: Defeated Michigan State, 49-7, in Capital One Bowl
• Coach: James Franklin. Players: CB Casey Hayward, LB Chris Marve, QB Larry Smith.
• 2010 record: 2-10 (1-7 SEC)
• Postseason: None
Session II (10:50 a.m.-1:30 p.m.)
OLE MISS REBELS
• Coach: Houston Nutt. Players: RB Brandon Bolden, DE Kentrell Lockett, OL Bradley Sowell.
• 2010 record: 4-8 (1-7 SEC)
• Postseason: None
• Coach: Les Miles. Players: LB Ryan Baker, QB Jordan Jefferson, WR Russell Shepard.
• 2010 record: 11-2 (6-2 SEC)
• Postseason: Defeated Texas A&M, 41-24, in Cotton Bowl