Us media types had a chance to catch up with a handful of MSU basketball players this afternoon at Mize Pavilion, where they were going through some drill work. I'll have a notebook for tomorrow's Journal and more for Sunday, but here are some quick thoughts from the guys.
Brian Bryant, senior guard
• On backcourt positions: "Right now we're kind of undecided with our coaches being out, so we've just been kind of playing pick-up, filling people in different positions, trying out new stuff."
• On backcourt competition: "We've got pretty intense scrimmages when we're in there playing with ourselves, just everybody trying to help each other get better."
• On where senior Dee Bost will play (point or shooting guard): "Talking with Dee, Dee pretty much wants to play the one. And then with Jalen (Steele) being out, we need somebody to step in there at the two."
Arnett Moultrie, junior forward
• On his summer work: "I've been real busy, been working out a couple of times a day, lifting weights every day. I'm trying to get back in game shape."
• On his inside-outside game: "Depends on my matchups and stuff like that. The majority I'll be on the block, rebounding, getting putbacks, picking and popping."
• On what's different about Renardo Sidney this summer: "He's definitely matured a lot as a person. He grew up, he understands now what he's got to do and how to succeed in life."
Shaun Smith, sophomore guard
• On offseason work: "We're doing a lot of conditioning right now, trying to get ready for the August trip."
• On next month's exhibition tour in Europe: "It's a business trip, but at the same time we're going to try to enjoy ourselves while we're out there, too."
• On the new practice facility: "It's real nice. We're in here a lot now. We get bored sometimes, just come up here, get some shots up or something like that."