Some highlights from Houston Nutt's Monday press conference ...
- MRI results for LB Jonathan Cornell (hip) and S Damien Jackson (knee) were negative, and both are expected to play this week against Louisiana-Lafayette. DE Gerald Rivers has a high ankle sprain, and his status is unclear. He'll be evaluated through the week.
- Nutt began his opening comments by praising the atmosphere in Saturday's 51-31 loss to Auburn. "We had an outstanding crowd Saturday. I want to thank our fans and our students. The atmosphere was outstanding, and I hate that we couldn't hand them a victory."
- Nutt stressed the importance of he and his coaches providing leadership through this time to keep the players focused and together. Ole Miss has lost three straight and at 3-5 must win three out of four to avoid a losing season and qualify for a bowl game.
- Nutt said he hopes to get younger players more snaps down the stretch, but unless something strange happens, those young players will be ones who already are playing at some level. No redshirts will be burned.
- Defensive end LaMark Armour says the "little things" have hurt the Ole Miss defense and that the Rebels have been beating themselves. Asked to pinpoint a little thing he talked about missed assignments, "MAs" as he called them.
- Nutt compared the Rebels' current offensive line to Auburn's and say he expects to see similar growth. "If you look at Auburn's offensive line, that is the same group we tossed around with Peria Jerry (in 2008). That is the group that [Tommy] Tuberville put our there as redshirt freshmen, and now they are seniors. We are going to have a group like that. This group is going to be very good. They are holding their own and fighting. They are finding holes, getting good pushes, and helping our backs."