Grant requests presented to the board during its regular meeting last week were tabled until members had a chance to review each request in detail before voting.
Funds were awarded to:
• Corinth-Alcorn Animal Shelter, $3,500 to support the 2013 Crossroads Festival and Chili Cookoff, which the group will assume as a primary fundraiser in future years.
• Corinth Artist Guild Gallery, $850 for a year’s advertising in the bi-monthly VIP magazine, which has yielded good results in gallery visits and sales.
• Alcorn County Wildlife Tasting Supper, $500 to create professional signage for improved crowd control during the annual event.
• Crossroads Museum, a total $6,655.95 residual in the Green Market account to assume management of the Green Market effective immediately.
• CARE Garden, $2,000 to continue grounds maintenance at the tourism office and other sites in downtown Corinth.
The board voted to again table discussion of the Crossroads Arena funding request until it receives further guidance from the county attorney.
Board members discussed the need to get a better grasp on which line items in the budget have been overspent and how they can achieve savings in other areas. They will look at lease agreements for the copy machine and postage machine in the office, evaluate costs of ending costly contracts, and consider alternative lower-cost arrangements for those services, as well as grounds maintenance services.