“Three weeks ago, I had to go to Vo-Tech Road in my district because seven dogs had been dumped out. I had to go back again Sunday and pick up a sick dog who’d been dumped out in a different district to euthanize and bury it,” said Crawford, who is also a veterinarian.
Crawford mainly brought the issue to the board to receive its blessing for her to gather information on attached costs.
“I just think we’re coming out cheaper if we get billed from the other shelters. I’m willing to spend money, but think everybody will benefit if we go that route,” said District 5 supervisor Robert Tomey.
Crawford said the Aberdeen and Amory animal shelters don’t deal with animals out in the county.
“I just think the manpower, fuel and insurance is going to be too high for us to do it,” said District 1 supervisor Doug Wiggins.
Tomey and District 4 supervisor Fulton Ware gave Crawford their blessings to pursue more information to present to the board regarding an animal control officer.
In other business, the board approved:
– An order receiving reports of county depositories.
– An order directing the clerk to advertise for bids for contracts for furnishing asphalt emulsion and ready-mix asphalt for beginning of April to beginning July.
– A resolution declaring March 29 Good Friday a legal holiday in lieu of April 29, Confederate Memorial Day.
– An order receiving and filing daily log of meals served to prisoners for February 2013 in the amount of $12,274.
– An order directing the clerk to publish legal notice for final settlement of contract in regard to a project entailing a section of Old Wolfe Road.
– A request from Aberdeen Mayor Cecil Belle to contact Tombigbee River Water Management District for assistance in covering an uncovered ditch through General Young Park.
– A request for funding for the Monroe County 4-H robotics equipment in the amount of $279.99.
– An order allowing travel for Monroe County Solid Waste Enforcement officer Carl Cadden for attending MDEQ Solid Waste Enforcement Officer Training in Jackson.
– An order approving Three Rivers Planning and Development District’s Garbage Bill write-off for January 2013 in the amount of $1,043.63.
– A request for the president to sign documents for CDBG application regarding United Furniture.