Months after election, Palmer likely to vote for Davis
City Council member Buddy Palmer of Ward 5 likely didn’t vote for his rival, Jonny Davis, during the summer’s council election.
However, Palmer, will likely vote for Davis’ wife, Sherry Davis, to fill the open Tupelo School Board seat. The retired East Tupelo grocer praised Davis’ credentials for school board and said he thinks she’ll do a “wonderful job.”
On Monday, Davis will meet one-on-one with council members to answer any specific questions they may have. She should expect questions from Palmer.
He recently attended attended a session on choosing a school board member at the Mississippi Municipal League’s Tunica conference and plans to put the information he gained to good use.
1. Some questions Palmer will ask Davis, 47, include:What does she expect from him as a council member to support her as a school board member?
2. Does she have time to devote to the job?
3. If the school board makes a decision she has problem with, how would she react?
4. Is she a proponent of selected school board members or elected board members?
5. What would be some of her major concerns she could help resolve in the school district?
“I don’t doubt she’ll have the right answers,” he said. “I don’t have a problem with her at all.”
Palmer said Friday that he considers Jonny Davis, his GOP primary opponent for the council seat, a friend and holds no grudge. He said the two men seeking the same office has no bearing on Sherry Davis’ school board appointment.
Laughing, Palmer said no one can prove he didn’t cast his vote for Sherry Davis’ husband during the recent election.
“You don’t know that I didn’t vote for him,” Palmer said.
Click here to read my story about City Council members expected to breeze Davis through the confirmation for the Tupelo School Board position.