The starting lineup
Pontotoc, P/SS/1B, Senior
- Numbers: 18-5 record, 0.47 ERA, 18 complete games, 9 shutouts, 215K, 134 innings pitched, .514 batting average, 3 HR, 27 RBIs, 21 runs, 3 triples, .602 on-base percentage, .764 slugging percentage, .945 fielding percentage.
- Quotable: “She can play anywhere but I guess pitching is her special gift. More importantly, she’s a good person on and off the field. All the younger ones look up to her, not necessarily pitching-wise, but because of who she is. And so do her own peers.” – Pontotoc coach Rhonda Denton
Smithville, SS, Senior
- Numbers: .395 batting average, 39 RBIs, 3 HR, 8 doubles, 5 triples, 53 runs, .504 on-base percentage, .632 slugging percentage, 21 stolen bases, .900 fielding percentage.
- Quotable: “Whitney had been starting for me since the eighth grade. She comes to practice ready to go. Of course, in a game she’ll go all out and be a get-down-and-get-dirty type of player. She’s very good defensively.” – Smithville coach Jeremy Duke
Nettleton, P, Junior
- Numbers: 25-1 record, 10 shutouts, 1.20 ERA, 96K, 146 innings pitched, .975 fielding percentage, .420 batting average, 32 RBIs, 7 doubles.
- Quotable: “She throws in the middle to the upper 50s. She moves the ball around really great. So, when she is on her game, it really makes Nettleton fast-pitch click.” – Nettleton coach Chris Kidd
Hatley, P/1B, Sophomore
- Numbers: 18-7 record, 1.42 ERA, 143K, 157.2 innings pitched, 23 complete games, .910 fielding percentage.
- Quotable: “She’s in control of the game. She never gets rattled. She’s a big-time player, big-game pitcher. She really had her best games in the playoffs. She really stepped up when it came down to it.” – Hatley coach Chris George
Mooreville, 3B, Senior
- Numbers: .460 batting average, 2 HR, 6 doubles, 27 runs, .500 slugging percentage, .800 fielding percentage.
- Quotable: “She’s a good defensive player and a good hitter. She’s just a good leader. She’s an all-around good kid, good ball player.” – Mooreville coach Perry Wilburn
Houlka, CF, Senior
- Numbers: .750 batting average, 6 HR, 51 RBIs, 41 runs, 8 doubles, 5 triples, 9 stolen bases, 1.442 slugging percentage, .803 on-base percentage.
- Quotable: “She didn’t get to swing the bat a whole lot. She walked 17 times with about 14 being intentional. She only struck out once, in the first game of the season. She’s just an extraordinary kid. She just had a dream season.” – Houlka coach Vicki Homan
North Pontotoc, P/2B, Senior
- Numbers: 15-3 record, 3 saves, 1.89 ERA, 77K, 111 innings pitched, .402 batting average, 26 RBIs, 4 doubles, 3 triples, 31 runs, 10 stolen bases, .914 fielding percentage.
- Quotable: “She’s hard-nosed. Whatever she needs to do, that’s what she’ll do. She’s gritty. Just a great kid.” – North Pontotoc coach Shane Montgomery
Nettleton, 3B, Junior
- Numbers: .423 batting average, 41 RBIs, 5 HR, 10 doubles, 7 triples, 57 runs, .798 slugging percentage, 17 stolen bases, .852 fielding percentage.
- Quotable: “She’s all-out, 100 percent every single day. She’s a tremendous hitter. She puts so much pressure on the other team, offensively and defensively. She’s another key that makes us go.” – Nettleton coach Chris Kidd
North Pontotoc, CF, Senior
- Numbers: .562 batting average, 28 RBIs, 1 HR, 4 doubles, 3 triples, 61 runs, 38 stolen bases, .594 on-base percentage, .664 slugging percentage, .949 fielding percentage.
- Quotable: “She was our catalyst. She made things happen. When she got on base, we were a dangerous team. Whatever it took, she was ready to do. You couldn’t ask for a better leadoff batter.” – North Pontotoc coach Shane Montgomery
Smithville, P/3B, Junior
- Numbers: 17-5 record, 1.72 ERA, 109K, 126.1 innings pitched, 3 shutouts, 11 complete games, .531 batting average, 65 RBIs, 2 HR, 23 doubles, 4 triples, 40 runs, .858 slugging percentage, .553 on-base percentage, 24 stolen bases, .947 fielding percentage.
- Quotable: “She’s had an awesome year. She got hot really early in the season, hitting in the .600s. She set the record for average, RBIs and doubles for us in a season. Towards the end of the year, … she was pitching very good.” – Smithville coach Jeremy Duke
Capsules compiled by John Wilbert
- Brooke Denton, Michele Hester and Kami Roberts were all also first-team
selections in 2008 and 2009.
- Shelby Jackson was also a first-team selection in 2009.
- Raleigh Downs, Booneville, 2B, Sr.
- Courtney Fretwell, Hatley, 3B, Sr.
- Brianna Gable, North Pontotoc, P/INF, Jr.
- Haley Gravat, Houston, P/CF, Soph.
- Makenzie Hawkins, Nettleton, 2B, Soph.
- Brooke Jones, Wheeler, SS, Jr.
- Holly Schlicht, Nettleton, SS, Sr.
- Brittany Seale, North Pontotoc, C/3B, Fr.
- Danielle Taylor, West Union, P, Jr.
- Erin Williams, Tishomingo County, P/1B, Sr.
NEMS Daily Journal