- Looking back: The Rebels were 3-1 on the week, allowing just one run in a non-conference win over Samford and two wins against Tennessee. The loss was 6-4 against Tennessee on Saturday, but Ole Miss still came away with its first SEC series win of the season.
- Looking ahead: Ole Miss has just one non-conference game this week, Wednesday at 6 at Southern Miss (18-5). The Rebels will travel from Hattiesburg to Baton Rouge for this week’s SEC series against LSU (1-5 SEC).
- Who’s hot: Left-hander Matt Crouse, the Rebels’ Friday starter, has allowed just one run in his last 232⁄3 innings pitched. Crouse is 6-0 with a 1.27 ERA and has walked just four batters in 422⁄3 innings pitched.
- Who’s not: DH Matt Snyder, considered one of the team’s top power hitters, was 0 for 9 at Tennessee. His season average has dropped to .253.
- RPI watch: The Rebels enter the week with an RPI ranking of 13, a figure that could strengthen tonight with a win over RPI No. 6 Southern Miss.
- Bottom line: The Rebels got more production offensively in their two wins at Tennessee, particularly in Sunday’s 8-0 victory when they totaled 14 hits. The eight runs were the most Ole Miss has scored in an SEC regular season game since getting 19 at Mississippi State last May 2.
The most encouraging sign of the weekend may have been the performance of junior college transfer Austin Wright, the Sunday starter. He pitched eight innings of four-hit ball with just one walk and eight strikeouts.
If Wright can begin to show that type of consistency, it will take pressure off what has been an average Ole Miss offense.
Parrish Alford/NEMS Daily Journal