By Parrish Alford/ NEMS Daily Journal
– Looking back: The Rebels went 1-1 on the week, getting a crucial road win at Georgia and falling short in overtime at No. 9 Tennessee.
The Georgia win was huge, helping the Rebels avoid an 0-3 SEC start after losing at home to Mississippi State in the SEC opener. The Tennessee game was an opportunity lost to pick up a win against a strong RPI opponent.
– Looking ahead: Ole Miss is home Wednesday against South Carolina in an 8 p.m., start. The Gamecocks are 11-6 overall, 2-1 in the SEC and in fourth place in the East. The game will be televised by CSS.
– Who’s hot: Guard Zach Graham scored 27 points for the week. He was 3-for-6 from 3-point range and 10-for-11 from the free throw line.
– Who’s not: Center Murphy Holloway has scored only 12 points in three SEC games. Holloway continues to shoot a good percentage from the floor (5-for-11 last week) but is struggling at the free throw line.
– RPI watch: A win over the Vols, who were No. 25 in the RPI rankings, would have been a big lift. Even in losing, the Rebels climbed from No. 45 to No. 42.
– Bottom line: Ole Miss must continue to improve in post defense. There were flashes of good play against Georgia, but the Rebels struggled against Tennessee center Wayne Chsim. Post players Reginald Buckner and DeAundre Cranston fouled out.
The Rebels need to find a way to defend without sending players to the free throw line where Tennessee was 19-for-28.