Not as much to report on Mississippi State’s second practice session of the day as the first, because: 1) It involved mostly second- and third-stringers, 2) the second half of it was moved inside the Palmeiro Center due to lightning.
But we did get to speak with redshirt freshman quarterback Tyler Russell, one of two QBs in the afternoon session (the other was freshman walk-on Brantley Adams). While Russell was practicing with only half the team (52 of the 105), he treated it like it was his team.
“I’m really the No. 1 quarterback out here in this practice, so I had to show I was a leader,” he said. “And I just had to go out there and show the guys that I could play and I could do it.”
Russell was pretty sharp for most of practice, struggling a bit at the end. Cornerback Louis Watson intercepted him and returned it a short distance for a touchdown.
“Today I had some throws that I didn’t complete, and I had some that I did do good on,” Russell said. “It just goes back to working out hard and everybody being on the same page.”
Some other notes from today’s second session:
• Randy Moulds, son of ex-Bulldog receiver Eric Moulds, worked at receiver. The younger Moulds, a walk-on, has also played defensive back in the past. In all, four freshmen practiced in the late session, and all are walk-ons, the others being Adams, defensive back Ivan Muniz and receiver Krisjon Wilkerson.
• Muniz, who measures 6-foot-2, 190 pounds, is the twin brother of scholarship freshman offensive lineman Archie Muniz (6-5, 255).
• Also working at receiver was Arceto Clark, a third-year sophomore from Shannon. That’s where he ended the spring after working most of it at cornerback. He dropped a few too many passes today.
• Sophomore defensive lineman Shane McCardell sat out most of practice after banging up a shoulder, but I was told it wasn’t serious.
• In a humorous moment, placekicker Derek DePasquale – all 5-8, 180 pounds of him – played cornerback briefly because the coaches needed a body there.
• MSU is off tomorrow for summer term final exams and returns to the practice field Thursday for a 6 p.m. full-squad workout.