Spring practice has ended, and so the lights in Davis Wade Stadium go out until September 1. The annual Maroon-White spring game was contested tonight, with the Maroon team coming out a 33-22 victor. That means stadium cleanup for the White squad tomorrow morning.
“I’m a lot happier knowing I don’t have stadium duty in the morning,” defensive coordinator Chris Wilson said.
It’s kind of a bittersweet feeling for head coach Dan Mullen, though.
“Sad day for me. I don’t get to be out there on the field with the boys again until about Aug. 3,” he said.
OK, let’s go ahead and hit up the stats, for whatever they’re worth.
• Tyler Russell was 24 of 43 for 312 yards, two touchdowns and no interceptions. He was sacked five times.
• Jameon Lewis caught 10 passes for 144 yards and had a 40-yard touchdown. Joe Morrow made six catches for 97 yards and a 17-yard TD.
• LaDarius Perkins rushed it seven times for 55 yards, scoring on an 11-yard run to give the Maroon a 7-0 lead, which it never relinquished. Derrick Milton had eight carries for 37 yards.
• Corvell Harrison-Gay had seven tackles, five tackles-for-loss and three sacks. Benardrick McKinney made a nice interception of Dak Prescott. Louis Watson also had a pick.
• Prescott was 10 of 27 for 205 yards, one touchdown and two interceptions.
• Brandon Heavens had two catches for 41 yards. Arceto Clark had two catches for 39 yards, making a tough grab on a 33-yard touchdown. Chad Bumphis had one catch for 30 yards and scored on a 4-yard run out of the wildcat formation.
• Josh Robinson broke off a 55-yard touchdown run – possessions began at the offense’s 45-yard line because of the Sugarland stage – and he finished with 63 yards on five carries. Nick Griffin had 21 yards on three carries.
• Linebacker Ferlando Bohanna had eight tackles, while Taveze Calhoun and Jay Hughes had seven apiece. Quay Evans, the freshman defensive tackle, had three sacks.
I gots more Mullen quotes!
• “You know what, I think we stayed healthy today which is always one thing you want in the spring game. We wanted to put young guys that haven’t been in a situation out there on the field in front of a lot of fans in a real game day environment.”
• On Russell: “I thought his decision-making was great today. I thought he was pretty accurate. He was a little late on a throw or two.”
• On the play where Bumphis got chased into the staging area: “The official is looking at me and says, ‘What do we do?’ I said, ‘We’ll call it a safety right there.'”
• On cornerback Corey Broomfield not being dressed out: “Yeah, he was a little bit sore from the other day. He was on the same team as Banks and we were each going to let them play a couple of series.”
• On the offensive line: “This spring we didn’t develop the line chemistry. To me it was them learning the offense, learning what to do, and now we’ll start to develop that chemistry going into the fall of our guys.”
Want even more quotes? Then let’s go to the video.
• CLICK HERE for Mullen.
• CLICK HERE for Russell.
• CLICK HERE for Wilson.
• CLICK HERE for linebacker Cam Lawrence.