Today marks the 13th anniversary of the day I married my lovely wife, so I am making a valiant effort at taking off work. Please keep your fingers crossed for me.
But since the blog beast must be fed regularly, let me offer up some tidbits for you to munch on.
• Dan Mullen is in Bristol, Conn., this week to participate in the ESPN “Car Wash,” in which all 12 SEC coaches, fresh off media days in Hoover, will take to the television and radio airwaves (and the Internet) today and Tuesday.
Mullen is up to bat today, and I recommend you follow Joe Galbraith for updates about what Mullen will be doing and when.
• Speaking of Mullen, here’s my Sunday column if you missed it.
• MSU picked up three 2012 football commitments over the weekend when it held its Big Dawg Camp: safety Adairius Barnes (Port Gibson), tailback Xavier Grindle (East Marion) and tight end Gus Walley (Greene County). That brings the commitment total to 12.
Speaking of MSU recruiting, one of the best at covering it, Paul Jones, has a new gig. He’s joining the growing 247sports.com network. He’ll still be covering MSU, so make sure you’re following him on Twitter.
• I’ve got a feature on senior tailback Vick Ballard that will hopefully run Tuesday or Wednesday – the story ran long, which will not at all surprise my boss. I had a good chat not only with Ballard but with his father, Vick Terry.
• The men’s basketball team is preparing for its trip to Europe, which begins Aug. 7. We might get a chance to chat with some of the guys this week. They leave Aug. 5, minus Renardo Sidney, of course.
• Quick numbers for you: It’s one week until MSU players report for preseason camp, and 10 days until camp begins. And it’s 38 days until the Sept. 1 season opener at Memphis.
• In non-MSU news, it appears Bruce Pearl panicked. Good work by Andrew Gribble.