Updating Mississippi State’s NCAA tournament résumé on the eve of Selection Sunday. Next game: TBD.
• Record: 21-11
• National ranking: Unranked AP, coaches
• RPI rank: 74
• SOS rank: 71
• Quality wins: Seven (Arizona, West Virginia, Tennessee, Alabama, Vanderbilt, LSU, Ole Miss)*
• Bad losses: Four (Arkansas, Georgia, Auburn, Georgia)**
• vs. RPI top 25: 0-2
• vs. RPI top 50: 2-4
• vs. RPI top 100: 7-9 (Note: MSU is 5-5 vs. teams ranked 51-100)
• Projected seeding: 12th (Joe Lunardi)
• Analysis: MSU is teetering precariously on what’s a pretty large bubble. Jerry Palm and Andy Glockner have dropped State out of the field, while Lunardi has it in a First Four game vs. Texas in Dayton. The Bulldogs lost a top-50 RPI win thanks to West Virginia dropping from 43 to 56 in the past week. Nicole Auerbach of USA Today has MSU as one of the last four in. Like Glockner wrote on Twitter last night (CLICK HERE), there will be a few misses on the projections because, as Auerbach told me, “This bubble is really messy. I have no idea how the committee will sort through these last 10 or so teams.” That means there is still hope for MSU.
*-Combined record of 140-84; **-Combined record of 48-47
Sources: CBSSports.com, RealTimeRPI.com