Updating Mississippi State’s NCAA tournament résumé with three games left in the regular season. Remaining schedule: at Alabama, at South Carolina, vs. Arkansas.
• Record: 19-9 overall, 6-7 SEC (7th)
• National ranking: Unranked
• RPI rank: 60
• SOS rank: 68
• Quality wins: Seven (Arizona, West Virginia, Tennessee, Alabama, Vanderbilt, LSU, Ole Miss)*
• Bad losses: Two (Georgia, Auburn)**
• vs. RPI top 25: 1-3
• vs. RPI top 50: 2-3
• vs. RPI top 100: 6-7 (Note: MSU is 4-4 vs. teams ranked 51-100)
• Projected seeding: 11th (Jerry Palm)
• Analysis: Palm has MSU on the dreaded bubble, and Saturday’s game at Alabama could ultimately prove the difference in whether State – which has lost four straight – is in or out of the tournament. The Tide (29 RPI) has won five of its last seven despite missing some key players. State now has an extra quality win this week – according to RealTimeRPI.com – for its home victory over Tennessee back on Jan. 12. UT is 14-13, having won five of its last six. Seems to be a low standard for a quality win, but MSU needs all the help it can get.
*-Combined record of 121-72; **-Combined record of 26-28
Sources: RealTimeRPI.com, CBSSports.com