Updating Mississippi State’s NCAA tournament résumé heading into the SEC Tournament. Next game: vs. Georgia on Thursday.
• Record: 21-10
• National ranking: Unranked AP, coaches
• RPI rank: 65
• SOS rank: 66
• Quality wins: Seven (Arizona, West Virginia, Tennessee, Alabama, Vanderbilt, LSU, Ole Miss)*
• Bad losses: Three (Arkansas, Georgia, Auburn)**
• vs. RPI top 25: 0-2
• vs. RPI top 50: 3-4
• vs. RPI top 100: 8-8 (Note: MSU is 5-4 vs. teams ranked 51-100)
• Analysis: MSU lost its lone top-25 RPI win when Vanderbilt dropped to 26th in the rankings, so that doesn’t help. The Commodores lost to Tennessee (75 RPI) on Saturday. State’s RPI (the NCAA’s official rankings came out last night) remains unchanged from last week, while the SOS (from CBSSports.com) has improved slightly from the previous entry here. Georgia won’t be a good RPI game, as those Bulldogs check in with a ranking of 112. But, a win earns a date with Vandy, and MSU’s NCAA fates could very well come down to that game.
*-Combined record of 133-80; **-Combined record of 47-44
Sources: NCAA.com, CBSSports.com, RealTimeRPI.com