There are 21 kinds of awards that go out to college football players, and 15 of those awards offer us preseason watch lists, which are more inclusive than the coaches’ All-SEC basketball team. You can view them all right here (PDF format).
Anyway, seven Mississippi State players can be found among the hundreds. So let’s round ‘em up.
• Biletnikoff Award (best receiver): Chad Bumphis, junior
• Rotary Lombardi Award (best lineman): Quentin Saulsberry, senior
• Maxwell Award (best player): Vick Ballard, senior
• Bronko Nagurski Trophy (best defensive player): Fletcher Cox, junior; Charles Mitchell, senior
• Davey O’Brien Award (best quarterback): Chris Relf, senior
• Doak Walker Award (best running back): Vick Ballard, senior
One more thing (and I’m being sincere): How is Derek DePasquale not on the Lou Groza Award watch list? He’s made 20 of 24 field goals (most accurate in school history) and all 51 of his point-after kicks over two seasons. DePaq snubbed again.