Next game: vs. Memphis, Saturday, 6 p.m. (ESPNU, Clay Matvick and Herm Edwards)
This is the busiest time of year for guys like me, but there’s a couple of nice tradeoffs: 1) It’s football season; 2) there is a routine of sorts.*
You’ll become familiar with my writing routine during football season, if you’re not already. Now entering my third year on this beat, I’ve got my weekly story and blog budget quite settled. So here’s what you can look for in the paper and online each and every week.
• Sunday: In the paper – A game story, notebook and either sidebar or column from MSU’s game the previous day. On the blog – Linking up the day’s stories and looking back at the game. Anything of note from coach Dan Mullen‘s Sunday teleconference, which is (again) inexplicably scheduled for noon.
• Monday: In the paper – The MSU Rewind, where I take a brief look back at Saturday’s game, examining what went right and what went wrong for the Bulldogs. And again, anything of note from Mullen’s media chat. On the Blog – The First Look will tell you all about MSU’s next opponent. Later in the morning, the SEC will release its weekly honors. Then Mullen has his weekly 1 p.m. press conference, with players also made available, and a couple of blog entries will bring you notes and quotes from both parties.
• Tuesday: In the paper – A lengthy notebook off the press conference. On the blog – Reviewing Monday and looking at what’s coming up. The Blog Bag will drop. Then thoughts from coaches and players following practice (it’s the last day of player media availability for the week).
• Wednesday: In the paper – A feature on an MSU player or coach. On the blog – A closer look at the feature subject. Notes and quotes from the SEC coaches teleconference. Power rankings. Also watch for MSU Athletic Director Scott Stricklin‘s weekly blog.
• Thursday: In the paper – My opinion offering for the week. On the blog – Linking up my column (perhaps expounding on it) and other stories of interest. An injury report (the school says it will release that information every Thursday). Rounding up the best of the day’s SEC blogs.
• Friday: In the paper – A story leading with something on MSU’s opponent, with several other items thrown in. On the blog – Game Day Eve entry (with SEC schedule of games). Emptying the Notebook entry (leftovers!). Blog Bag answers.
• Saturday: In the paper – Our Game Day tab, which will have a game preview, a depth chart, 3 Keys to Victory, Crucial Matchup, etc. Jam-packed with info, my friends. On the blog – Pregame blog entry. After the game, a recap and quotes.
*–Mind you, this routine will be altered greatly next week because of the Thursday game with Auburn. Otherwise, that’s what you can expect in a typical game week.