QB news out of Kentucky today. Joker Phillips has named freshman Maxwell Smith the starter, perhaps based on the high ankle sprain for veteran Morgan Newton as much as anything. Smith might have won the job anyway – He was solid last week in relief of Newton against MSU – but Newton’s inability to bounce back may have made it a moot point. The interesting thing here is that if Smith struggles, Phillips may be willing to burn a redshirt for a talented freshman yet to play.
More In Lifestyle
- Take two: ‘Moonlight’ wins best picture at Academy Awards
- A life so rich: Holly Springs museum shares Wells-Barnett’s legacy
- LESLIE CRISS: Love of movies spurs appreciation for Oscars
- ROBERT ST. JOHN: King cakes a tough pastry to explain
- Freedom Cafe: Church, volunteers offer monthly meal, fellowship to those in need
More In Opinion