Corinth football coach Doug Jones is starting to sound like a broken record, and he’s more than ready for a new tune.
He’s tired of singing about turnovers and ineffective offense.
“I coach those guys that hold onto the ball. I’ll take full responsibility for that,” Jones said. “We’ve got to get that fixed.”
Even in a 28-0 season-opening win against Kossuth, turnovers were a concern. The Warriors lost two fumbles in Friday’s loss to Lafayette and also suffered an interception in the end zone.
The Warriors (1-1) gave up 28 points to Lafayette, but Jones said a lot of that was due to his defense being on the field too long. Corinth was held to 80 total yards of offense, the lowest output in Jones’ two seasons – 13 games.
The Warriors won’t get a break this week. They go to Lewisburg before hosting No. 3 Booneville in two weeks.
“We’ve got to do a better job offensively of giving them a chance,” Jones said. “I felt like they contained Lafayette’s offense, for the most part, until they just got worn down.
“I kind of put that off on the offense and I coach offense, so again, that comes back on me.”
Only two Journal-ranked teams lost last week, one of those to another ranked team. No. 3 large school Starkville lost at home against top-ranked Oxford.
Saltillo moves into the rankings after improving to 2-0 with a 41-0 win at Pontotoc. Saltillo junior Diamante Pounds continued to carry the load with 178 yards rushing. He now has 408 yards and five total touchdowns on the season.
All five teams in the Class 4A/3A rankings won, led by No. 1 Ripley’s 46-27 win against North Pontotoc.
In the small school rankings, Calhoun City remains atop, but Walnut moves in at No. 5 after upsetting previous No. 4 Falkner in a wild Joe Bowl.
DAILY JOURNAL RANKINGS
(Last week in parentheses)
1. Oxford (1, 2-0) beat Starkville 35-24. Next: Cleveland East Side
2. Tupelo (2, 2-0) beat Center Hill 27-3. Next: at Shannon
3. Saltillo (NR, 2-0) beat Pontotoc 41-0. Next: vs. Itawamba AHS
1. Ripley (1, 2-0) beat North Pontotoc 46-27. Next: Falkner
2. Shannon (2, 1-0) did not play. Next: Tupelo
3. Booneville (3, 2-0) beat Baldwyn 19-6. Next: Off this week
4. Nettleton (4, 2-0) beat Mooreville 62-24. Next: at East Webster
5. Itawamba AHS (5, 1-1) beat New Albany 14-10. Next: at Saltillo
1. Calhoun City (1, 2-0) beat Houston 30-13. Next: at Water Valley
2. Smithville (2, 2-0) beat Hatley 49-18. Next: at Caledonia
3. Bruce (3, 2-0) beat Potts Camp 39-8. Next: Coffeeville
4. East Webster (5, 2-0) beat Noxapater 20-19. Next: Nettleton
5. Walnut (NR, 1-1) beat Falkner 38-33. Next: at Alcorn Central
THIS WEEK’S SCHEDULE
Coahoma County at Houlka
Aberdeen at Amory
Baldwyn at Mooreville
Biggersville at Benton County
Calhoun City at Water Valley
Choctaw County at North Pontotoc
Coffeeville at Bruce
Corinth at Lewisburg
East Side at Oxford
East Union at Potts Camp
Falkner at Ripley
Hamilton at Hatley
Houston at Okolona
H.W. Byers at Coldwater
Itawamba AHS at Saltillo
Lafayette at Desoto Central
Mantachie at South Pontotoc
Marshall Aca. at Tunica Aca.
Nettleton at East Webster
New Site at Kossuth
North Sunflower at Calhoun Aca.
Noxapater at Vardaman
Pontotoc at New Albany
Smithville at Caledonia
Southern Baptist at Holly Springs
Starkville at West Point
Starkville Academy at Washington
Tishomingo County at Belmont
Tri-County at Oak Hill
Tupelo at Shannon
Walnut at Alcorn Central