For more on this story, see Wednesday's Daily Journal.
OXFORD – Ole Miss coach David Cutcliffe met with athletic director Pete Boone on Tuesday to discuss the coach's future, officials said.
The two met for the second consecutive day. No announcements were immediately planned, Ole Miss spokesman Langston Rogers said Tuesday.
Cutcliffe's status as the Rebels' coach has been the subject of wild speculation in the aftermath of the school's worst season since 1994.
Ole Miss finished 4-7, its first losing season since 1996, with four losses by a total 19 points. The Rebels were 3-5 in the Southeastern Conference.
Cutcliffe has three years remaining on a contract believed to pay $1.2 million annually. He is 44-29 through six seasons at Ole Miss, is 25-23 in the SEC and is the only coach in school history to win at least seven games in his first five years.
He's nearly 11 months removed from an SEC West co-championship, a 10-3 season and a Cotton Bowl victory.
But this year's Rebels at times underachieved and were under .500 in conference play for the second time in three years.
Ole Miss seemed listless three weeks ago in a 35-3 loss at Arkansas that eliminated the Rebels from bowl eligibility. But the Rebels appeared inspired the following week in a 27-24 loss at LSU and were dominant in beating Mississippi State 20-3 last week for the third consecutive time.
Cutcliffe has been criticized for his evaluation of the quarterback position. Micheal Spurlock was the starter at the beginning of the season, but was benched midway through the second game for Ethan Flatt.
Flatt started the Rebels' following nine games. Midway through the season Cutcliffe switched to a three-quarterback rotation with redshirt freshman Robert Lane entering the mix.
It worked well enough last month in a 31-28 upset at then-No. 25 South Carolina, but opponents appeared to catch on _ Ole Miss lost four straight after that, including three to ranked teams.