All games start at 7:30 p.m.
No. 2 Aberdeen (1-2) at Amory (0-3)
- This week: The annual A-Game features two teams that have struggled lately. Aberdeen was once atop the Daily Journal’s Class 3A rankings. Now, the Bulldogs are ranked second after losing 24-14 to Pontotoc. Meanwhile, the Panthers are already 0-2 on the season against area rivals and got drilled by New Hope last week.
- Recent history: Amory holds a 2-1 advantage in the last three meetings, including last year’s stunning 22-21 victory at Aberdeen. The Bulldogs did win big, though, 42-18 in 2007. The Panthers won 49-6 the year before.
- Aberdeen: The Bulldogs haven’t had much luck against bigger schools this season, losing to Class 6A Columbus and 4A Pontotoc. Amory has moved up to 4A this year. … RB Jamerson Love has rushed for 445 yards and scored 7 TDs this season. … Look for a much better Bulldogs team this time out, as the team’s coaches and players had a stern talk immediately after the Pontotoc loss.
n Amory: Sophomore QB Forest Williams was 9 for 16 passing for 74 yards and 2 INTs. … Panthers have been outscored 110-29 by their opponents. … Amory is 0-1 already against a Monroe County – and Lee County – team, losing 19-15 to Nettleton in Week 1.
No. 1 Booneville (3-0) at Saltillo (3-0)
- This week: Booneville has taken over the top spot in the Daily Journal’s 3A rankings after beating Center Hill 23-13. Saltillo is 3-0 after posting its second shutout of 2009, a 9-0 win at Baldwyn.
- Recent history: Booneville has won the last three meetings, outscoring the Tigers 104-28 in the process.
- Booneville: QB Jeiron Jones is 28 of 55 passing for 387 yards, 4 TDs and 6 INTs. … RB Bo Brown is the team’s leading rusher, with 268 yards and 4 TDs. … WR Drew Cristo has team-high 12 receptions for 202 yards and 1 TD.
- Saltillo: Tigers have allowed only 6 points all season. … SS Jalen Gaston leads the team in sacks with 5, while LB Quad Freeman leads in tackles with 33. … QB Drew Chisholm is 13 of 34 passing for 189 yards, 2 TDS and 1 INT. He also leads the team in rushing with 225 yards and 1 TD.
No. 5 Corinth (1-1) at No. 1 Shannon (2-0)
- This week: Corinth, ranked fifth in the Journal’s 3A rankings, is coming off a 35-20 win over New Albany, while No. 1 large school Shannon is coming off a week of rest.
- Recent history: Haven’t played in last three seasons, but, as the Daily Corinthian’s Lee Smith pointed out, Corinth did beat the Red Raiders in Shannon, 21-14, in 2002. However, Shannon leads the series 11-3-1.
- Corinth: QB Parks Frazier is 36 of 69 passing for 508 yards, 3 TD, 3 INTs. He set a school single-game record with 23 completions in season opener vs. Senatobia. … WR/DB Diante Curlee has 17 catches, 311 yards, 4 TDs; has 534 all-purpose yards and 6 TDs (1 rushing, 4 receiving and 1 INT return). He tied school’s single-game mark with 3 TDs catches last week vs. New Albany. He also returned an interception 46 yards for a score.
- Shannon: RB Keon McGaughy has rushed for 501 yards and 4 TDs on 52 carries. … WR Chris Davis has 5 catches for 113 yards and 2 TDs. … QBs Legilbert Bogan and Jake Scott are a combined 17 of 35 passing for 391 yards and 6 TDs.
No. 3 Lafayette County (3-0) at No. 4 Itawamba AHS (2-0)
- This week: The third spot in the Daily Journal’s large schools’ rankings is on the line in what could be a possible playoff matchup.
- Recent history: Haven’t played in last three seasons.
- Lafayette County: QB Jeremy Liggins has rushed for 3 TDs and has thrown 4 TDs. … K Tyler Jackson has kicked 4 field goals. … Coach Anthony Hart says his team “needs to play people like Itawamba to get better.”
- Itawamba AHS: QB Maikhail Miller is 20 of 28 passing for 338 yards and 3 TDs. He is being recruited by Mississippi State, Ole Miss and Southern Miss. … RB Deshawn McGaughy has rushed 163 times for 3 TDs. … TE Dillon Mitchell has 11 catches for 234 yards and 4 TDs.
No. 3 Ripley (1-1) at No. 5 Pontotoc (2-0)
- This week: Pontotoc will try for its second straight win over a Class 3A power, while Ripley will look to go 2-1 against 4A teams.
- Recent history: Ripley has won the last three meetings, including last year’s 34-28 last-minute win. Pontotoc, however, holds a slight advantage in the overall series with a 21-20 mark, not including the 1948 and 1947 contests whose outcomes are unavailable.
- Ripley: The Tigers are coming off a recording-breaking performance against Lewisburg. New school records in total offense (630 yards), rushing (545) and interceptions (5) were set. … QB Acie Vance is 12 of 14 passing for 150 yards and 1 TD. He has rushed for 114 yards and 3 TDs. … P Sam Thomas has not punted this season.
- Pontotoc: QB Canden Dallas has completed 19 of 33 passes for 294 yards and 3 TDs. He rushed for a TD vs. Aberdeen. … RB Randall Crayton has rushed 41 times for 357 yards and 4 TDS. … Ripley will be the third straight Class 3A team Pontotoc has faced to start the ’09 season.
South Pontotoc (2-1) at North Pontotoc (3-0)
- This week: Tonight’s meeting will be the first North-South game for first-year North Pontotoc head coach J.J. Plummer.
- Recent history: North Pontotoc won last year’s meeting 50-21, but South Pontotoc had won the previous two meetings: 24-13 in 2007 and 35-14 in 2006.
- South Pontotoc: QB Wesley Barefield has completed 16 of 46 passes for 190 yards, 1 TD and 1 INT. … RB Monte Love rushed for 220 yards and 5 TD on 39 carries. … LB Ty Priest leads the team with 26 tackles and 1 INT.
n North Pontotoc: QB Brandon Bailey is 38 of 72 passing for 515 yards, 4 TDs and 3 INT. … RB Joe Robbins has rushed 61 times for 291 yards and 3 TDs. … RB/WR/QB Myles Snyder leads the team in scoring with 36 points (6 TDs).
Tupelo (0-2) at Louisville (2-1)
- This week: Tupelo’s young team is coming off back-to-back losses to New Hope and IAHS to start the season. Louisville, last year’s 3A state champion, has moved up a notch to 4A.
- Recent history: Louisville won the last meeting in the series, 31-27, in 2006 at Tupelo.
- Tupelo: Sophomore QB Luke Hobson completed 8 of 17 passes for 110 yards and rushed for two TDs on 1-yard runs in a 35-13 loss to IAHS. Look for junior QB Nathan Wallace, sidelined by the flu last week, to return to the lineup and share playing time with Hobson. … DE P.J. Jones and S Ro Hogan are hurt and questionable for the game.
- Louisville: The Wildcats have wins against Northwest Rankin (41-14) and Starkville (26-21), and a loss to Quitman (42-25). … QB Chris Raggs, a 5-10, 175-pound senior, runs a multiple scheme that features 6-5 wide receiver Markise Triplet. “We’re not that tall; we can’t give them time to throw it,” Tupelo defensive coordinator Lamar Aldridge said on covering Triplet.
No. 2 West Point (1-1)at Starkville (0-3)
- This week: West Point takes on a Starkville team that is still in search of its first win after having played the defending 5A, 4A and 3A state champions to begin the season.
- Recent history: West Point has won the last three meetings. The Green Wave won 34-0 last year, but the previous two meetings were decided by three points or less (16-13 in 2008 and 23-21 in 2006).
- West Point: RB Xavier Hogan has rushed for 224 yards and 5 TDs in two games. … QB Justin Cox is 10 for 19 passing for 135 yards and 1 TD. … WR Michael Carr returned the second-half kickoff vs. Columbus 88 yards for a TD.
- Starkville: QB Jaquez Johnson has completed 22 of 38 passes (.579 percentage) and has rushed for 2 TDs. … RB Billy Shed is averaging 5.5 yards per carry and 8 yards per reception. … Starkville is averaging just over 10 points per game.
Compiled by John Wilbert; Tupelo capsule by Gene Phelps
NEMS Daily Journal