NETTLETON – Elmonte McClendon rushed for 156 yards and a touchdown to lift Nettleton to a 29-12 win over Bruce in a non-division tilt Friday night.
McClendon ripped off a 64-yard scoring run with 10 minutes, 11 seconds left in the third quarter to give the Tigers (5-1) a commanding 22-0 lead. The margin reached 29-0 before Bruce (0-5) scored.
Quarterback Anthony Franklin completed 6 of 17 passes for 56 yards and two touchdowns – 5 yards to Patrick Jones and 10 yards to Odarius Lowe, both in the first half. Nettleton had 291 total yards, 235 of it on the ground.
Shaq Bush led Bruce with 118 yards on six catches.
- Itawamba AHS 33, Corinth 14: The visiting Indians (5-0) scored all of their points in the first half, with Deshaun McGaughy scoring on runs of 4 and 65 yards. He finished with 123 yards on nine carries.
Corinth (2-3) got a pair of TD passes from Parks Frazier.
- Belmont 39, Red Bay, Ala. 6: Gage Smith ran wild, going for 247 yards and five touchdowns on 19 carries for the unbeaten Cardinals (5-0). Dustin Poole added 93 yards and a score, as Belmont racked up 439 yards on the ground.
- Okolona 20, Falkner 12: Martavis Ford rushed for 86 yards and three touchdowns, and Kentray Ware had 152 yards on 17 totes for Okolona (3-2), which won the Division 1-1A opener for both teams. Falkner dropped to 0-4 (0-1).
- South Pontotoc 28, Mantachie 7: Wesley Barefield passed for a score and ran for another as the Cougars (3-3) rolled at home. Mantachie is 2-4.
- New Albany 13, M.S. Palmer 8: In a defensive struggle, touchdown runs by Eric Johnson (7 yards) and Kareem Brown (25 yards) proved enough for New Albany (4-2). M.S. Palmer (3-1) scored on a 98-yard interception return in the fourth quarter but couldn’t complete the rally.
- Hatley 43, New Site 0: Grant Halkins scored on a punt return and a 35-yard run in the route as Hatley moved to 4-2. New Site is 0-6.
- Heidelberg Aca. 39, TCPS 7: Heidelberg (5-1) raced to a 32-0 halftime lead for an easy win. Antonio Barnett had four TD runs, three of them covering 60 or more yards. TCPS is 2-4.
- Biggersville 40, Thrasher 0: John Ragin ran for 115 yards and two touchdowns, and his Lions won their Division 1-1A opener and improved to 4-1 overall. Thrasher fell to 1-3 (0-1).
- Houlka 33, Jumpertown 0: In a Thursday game, Brandon Isabell scored on a 27-yard fumble return and then a 38-yard reception to open the scoring for Houlka (1-5). Jumpertown is 0-2.
NEMS Daily Journal