By NEMS Daily Journal
North Pontotoc, P, Senior
- Notable: 16-3 record, 2.25 ERA, 100 strikeouts, batted .367, 25 RBI, 587 career strikeouts. … Missed three weeks of season with arm injury. … All-Area second-team selection in 2010.
- Quotable: “She was huge for us; she’s a hoss. She wants the ball.” – North Pontotoc coach Shane Montgomery
Houston, P, Junior
- Notable: 19-2 record, 1.83 ERA, 111 strikeouts, 126 innings pitched, batted .500, 17 RBI … All-Area second-team selection in 2010.
- Quotable: “She’s a real hard worker, one who does a lot of work on her own. She sets a good pace in a game and handles pressure really well.” – Houston coach Keith Jernigan
Nettleton, P, Senior
- Notable: Daily Journal Player of the Year. … 22-1 record, 0.67 ERA, 129 strikeouts in 135 innings pitched, walked 15 batters, batted .342 with 20 RBI, 82-6 career pitching record. … Signed with Chipola College, a community college in Marianna, Fla. … Four-time All-Area first-team selection (2008-2011).
- Quotable: “Her record speaks for itself. Ice water runs through her veins.” – Nettleton coach Chris Kidd
East Webster, P, Senior
- Notable: 20-8 record, 2.10 ERA, batted .467 to lead team. … Signed with Mississippi State, where she is expected to play infield or outfield.
- Quotable: “She’s every coach’s ideal player. She gives it everything she has in practice and in games.” – East Webster coach Meleah Brown
Hatley, P, Junior
- Notable: 17-9 record, 2.01 ERA, 129 strikeouts, 163 innings pitched, batted .240, 2 doubles, 15 RBI, .967 fielding percentage. … All-Area first-team selection in 2010.
- Quotable: “She locates the ball and mixes her pitches well. She give us a chance to beat anyone we play.” – Hatley coach Chris George
Nettleton, C, Senior
- Notable: Batted .475, 31 RBI, 11 2B, 6 3B, 7 HR, 16-for-16 stolen bases. … Moved to catcher this season after playing third base. … All-Area first-team selection in 2010.
… Signed with Chipola (Fla.)College.
- Quotable: “She’s the best overall ballplayer I’ve coached. There are so many things she’s good at.” – Nettleton coach Chris Kidd
Mooreville, P, Sophomore
- Notable: 14-5 record, 1.63 ERA, 132 strikeouts, 122 innings pitched. … The only pitcher to beat 3A state champion Nettleton this season, striking out seven and four-hitting Tigers in 4-2 win.
- Quotable: “When she stepped on the mound, she was in charge. Our kids looked up to her.” – Mooreville coach Perry Wilburn
Smithville, P/INF, Senior
- Notable: 10-4 record, 1.07 ERA, 67K in 68 innings pitched, batted .471, 22 RBI. … Had 92-22 career pitching record…. Four-time All-Area first-team selection (2008-2011).
- Quotable: “She is a phenomenal athlete. I can’t say enough about her.” – Smithville coach Jeremy Duke
North Pontotoc, C, Sophomore
-Notable: Batted .466, 45 RBI, 13 extra-base hits, .539 on-base percentage, only two strikeouts in 130 at-bats. … All-Area second-team selection in 2010.
- Quotable: “She’s a game-changer. She’s a general behind the plate.” – North Pontotoc coach Shane Montgomery
West Union, P, Senior
- Notable: 16-7 record, 1.18 ERA, 134 strikeouts in 137 innings. … Named player of year in Division 2-1A. … All-Area second-team selection in 2010.
- Quotable: “We couldn’t have been where we were without her. She worked with the younger players and made our team better.” – West Union coach Lisa Bogue
Capsules compiled by Gene Phelps
About this team
- The Daily Journal revamped its All-Area team format for the 2010-11 high school sports seasons. The Journal is selecting 10 players –
regardless of positions or classification they compete in – from its coverage area deemed to have had the best seasons in their respective sports.
With 60-something high schools in its coverage area, the Daily Journal’s staff and correspondents did their best in determining which high school softball players had the most successful seasons in 2011.
The Journal’s staff contacted area softball coaches and other media types to seek input on which players had standout seasons. This helped the Journal assemble a list of players considered to have the most successful seasons.