Friday was a banner day for Itawamba AHS coach Brian Long and outfielder Jared McGonagill.
Long won his 450th career game as his Indians opened their MHSAA Class 4A first-round best-of-three game baseball playoff series with a 9-3 road win against Pearl.
McGonagill, who suffered a concussion late in the regular season, returned to the lineup against Pearl in a big way, collecting four hits, two of them doubles.
Devin Moore also had four hits to pace the Indians’ 16-hit attack.
Dillon Mitchell was the winning pitcher and upped his record to 7-3.
The second game of the series is scheduled for 1 p.m. today in Fulton. A third game, if needed, would follow.
Around the area:
– Pontotoc 8, Yazoo City 1: Also in 4A, Kaleb Kennedy fired a three-hitter and struck out nine to lead Pontotoc. Jake Smithey’s two-run double highlighted a six-run sixth inning for the winning Warriors.
– Oxford 6, Kosciusko 1: Phillip Malatesta remained unbeaten on the mound in leading Oxford to a series-opening road win.Malatesta improved to 10-0 while the Chargers, who host the second game at 3 p.m. today, are now 24-3 overall.
– Tishomingo Co. 14, Ridgeland 4: Tishomingo County got three hits from Seth George and a pitching win from Matt Davis to top Ridgeland.
n Neshoba Central 5, Lafayette Co. 1: Lafayette County lost its home opener to Neshoba Central.
– Houston 9, Charleston 0: Landon Brister fired a one-hitter and recorded 14 strikeouts to lead Houston to a home victory against Charleston in the first game of their opener.
Houston (14-12) got home runs from Brister and Jacob Schemert.
– North Pontotoc 7, Senatobia 5: Jeremy Ferguson’s two-run homer in the sixth gave the Vikings their go-ahead runs.
– Mooreville 8, Ripley 4: The Troopers won their series opener.
– Amory 17, East Side 0: Stephen Otey had three hits to lead Amory.
– Booneville 3, Independence 0: Booneville’s Kyle Stephenson struck out eight in pitching the Blue Devils to a win.
– East Union 14, LeFlore Co. 2: Matthew Carter belted a home run and pitcher Craig Bullock won his 10th game in leading East Union.
– Bruce 3, Riverside 0: Caleb Hanley fired a four-hitter and recorded 10 strikeouts to lead Bruce to a win against a 20-win Riverside ballclub.
– Ingomar 14-15, Broadstreet 0-0: Ingomar improved to 19-3 with a doubleheader series sweep of Shelby Broadstreet behind perfect games from Josh Hodges and Preston Broom.
– Myrtle 6, Biggersville 3: Jimel Judon’s a star on the basketball court and was one on the mound for Myrtle, scattering five hits.
– Smithville 7, Strayhorn 3: Tyler Jackson and Bud Cox had two hits apiece to lead Smithville.