If the Mississippi High School Activities Association’s legislative branch approves the proposal to expand basketball’s state tournament field from four to eight teams, it will mark the end of the North and South state tournaments.
The expansion proposal comes up for a second vote at the MHSAA’s February meeting in Clinton. If passed, the tournament’s format would change for the 2014-15 school year.
Under the new format, teams would exit division tournament play for two rounds of elimination play that lead to the final eight teams – four North, four South.
County tournaments highlight weekend play
Area basketball fans are in for a smorgasbord of hoops this weekend with play in four county tournaments – Lee (Shannon), Monroe (Smithville), Prentiss (New Site) and Union (East Union).
Lee County’s championship games are scheduled for 7 p.m. (girls) and 8:30 p.m. (boys) today.
The Monroe, Prentiss and Union championships are all scheduled for 6 p.m. (girls) and 7:30 p.m. (boys) Saturday.
MSU’s John Cohen to speak at Central
Mississippi State baseball coach John Cohen will be the featured speaker for Alcorn Central’s First Pitch banquet, scheduled for 6:30 p.m. Jan. 27 in the high school gym.
Seating is limited to the first 150 tickets sold. The tickets are $20 and must be purchased in advance. The ticket includes a meal, silent auction and seating for Cohen’s presentation.
For more information, call 322-7389 or 286-8720.
Journal’s Fantasy 5
If you were playing Northeast Mississippi Fantasy basketball, these are the five boys and girls you would have won with, from Jan. 9-16. Compiled by area hoops fan Jeff Roberts, stats were taken from call-ins to the Journal, as well as MaxPreps.
Check back next week for an update.
Girls Fantasy 5
1. Breanna Williams, Sr., G, Falkner: 26.3 ppg., 4 rpg., 4.67 spg.
2. Lauren McCreless, So., G/F, Alcorn Central: 24 ppg., 21-of-24 FTs, 3 spg., 8.5 rpg.
3. Claire Golding, So. G, TCPS: 22.5 ppg.
4. Gracen Conlee, So., G/F, West Union: 20 ppg., 8 rpg., 2 spg.
5. Timaya Stewart, Jr., G, Baldwyn: 19.67 ppg.
Boys Fantasy 5
1. Montreal Nabors, Sr., G, Lafayette: 30 ppg., 3 spg., 7-of-8 FTs
2. Harrison Fancher, Jr., G, Belmont: 26 ppg., 6 made 3s, 12-of-12 FTs, 6 spg.
3. John Wiley Works, Sr., G, Alcorn Central: 25.5 ppg.
4. Ismael Ruedas, Sr., G, Blue Mountain: 23.5 ppg., 94 points in 4 games – most of all the players tallied.
5. Isiah Howard, Jr., G, Ripley: 23.3 ppg.