Junior College sports
ICC hosts Northeast in key softball twinbill
- Community college rivals Itawamba and Northeast play a key MACJC North Division fastpitch softball doubleheader at 2 p.m. today in Fulton.
The Lady Indians (28-13, 15-7) can clinch a berth in the Region 23 playoffs by winning one game against the visiting Lady Tigers (16-18, 13-9).
Freshman CeCee Austin leads ICC with a .480 batting average, which includes a school record for home runs (14) and RBI (71).
Sophomore right-hander Melissa Russell (15-3, 1.98 ERA) will pitch Game 1 for ICC. Her win total is a school mark.
The games will be broadcast, beginning at 1:40, on WAFM-FM (95.7) as well as the College Web site, www.iccms.edu.
Northeast Lady Tigers tryouts set for today
- Northeast Mississippi Community College women’s basketball team will hold an open tryout today for anyone interested in joining the Lady Tigers’ team for the 2009-10 seasons.
Tryouts will be held on the campus at 5 p.m. in Bonner Arnold Coliseum. Prospective athletes need to bring their own practice attire to participate.
For more information, contact coach Ricky Ford at 662-720-7302 or assistant coach Maurice Stafford at 662-720-7161.
Sainz finishes second at SEC Men’s Championship
- ST. SIMONS ISLAND, GA. – The No. 1-ranked Georgia men’s golf team won the SEC Men’s Golf Championship by 13 strokes on Sunday at Frederica Golf Club, with a three-day total of 849.
The Bulldogs ended the tournament at 15-under-par 849, including a 2-under 286 in the final round.
Arkansas closed with a 1-over 289 to finish at 2-under 862 for the tournament and claim runner-up honors.
The Ole Miss men’s golf team shot a 292 in the final round and finished in eighth place with a 878 total.
Mississippi State finished in ninth place with a team score of 884 after a final-round 301.
Florida’s Billy Horschel claimed individual honors, closing with a 1-under 71 to finish at 10-under 206.
Horschel won individual medalist honors, playing all three rounds under par and beating Mississippi State’s Carlos Sainz by two shots. Sainz shot a 208 for the event.
Auburn women win SEC Championship
- BLYTHEWOOD, S.C. – Auburn fired a 1-over-par 285 in Sunday’s final round to capture the SEC Women’s Golf Championship by eight strokes over Arkansas and Alabama at Cobblestone Park Golf Club.
Freshman Marta Silva of Georgia captured the individual title as the only player in the field under par at 210 (-3).
Ole Miss finished in seventh with a 890 total, while Mississippi State was last with a 930 total.
Nadal wins 5th straight Monte Carlo Masters title
- MONACO – Rafael Nadal became the first player to win five straight Monte Carlo Masters titles by beating Novak Djokovic 6-3, 2-6, 6-1 on Sunday.
The top-ranked Spaniard dropped his first set in Monte Carlo since the 2006 final against Roger Federer. The third-seeded Djokovic rallied to win the second set, pinning Nadal behind the baseline and picking him off at the net.
Lisicki defeats Wozniacki to win Family Circle Cup
- CHARLESTON, S.C. – Sabine Lisicki of Germany beat Caroline Wozniacki 6-2, 6-4 to win the Family Circle Cup and her first tour title on Sunday.
The 19-year-old Lisicki, who is ranked No. 63 and bounced Venus Williams earlier in the tournament, consistently had serves around 120 mph at the tournament on the green clay at the Family Circle Tennis Center in Charleston, S.C.