JACKSON – Mississippi State and Ole Miss each have two players among five finalists for the annual Ferriss Trophy.
The award is given to the top college baseball player in Mississippi.
Pitchers Ross Mitchell and Jacob Lindgren, both junior left-handers, give MSU a good chance at keeping the trophy in Starkville for a third consecutive year. They’ll be challenged by Ole Miss outfielder Auston Bousfield and his teammate, right-handed pitcher Chris Ellis.
Belhaven right-handed pitcher and first baseman Tyler Akins is the other nominee.
Fan voting begins at 9 a.m. Tuesday at csopavoting.com and ends at 5 p.m. Sunday. The award, named Mississippi baseball great Boo Ferriss, will be awarded May 19 at the Mississippi State Sports Hall of Fame and Museum.
Here’s a quick look at each finalist’s résumé.
• Mitchell is 7-4 with a 1.98 ERA as a starter, a year after being a stalwart out of the MSU bullpen. Opponents are hitting .215 against him.
• Lindgren, a starter turned reliever, is 4-1 with a 1.01 ERA and 82 strikeouts in 44 innings pitched.
• Bousfield, a junior, leads the SEC in hitting with a .367 average, just a year after batting .253. He also has 40 RBIs, 15 stolen bases and no errors.
• Ellis, a junior, is 8-0 with a 1.96 ERA as the Rebels’ Friday night starter. Opponents are hitting .258 against him.
• Akins, a senior, has a 3-1 record, 1.81 ERA and 17 saves. At the plate, he’s batting .340 with 47 RBIs.
PREVIOUS FERRISS WINNERS
2013 – Hunter Renfroe, OF, Mississippi State
2012 – Chris Stratton, P, Mississippi State
2011 – Tyler Koelling, OF, Southern Miss
2010 – Drew Pomeranz, P, Ole Miss
2009 – Craig Westcott , IF/P, Belhaven University
2008 – Scott Bittle, P, Ole Miss
2007 – Ed Easley, C, Mississippi State
2006 – Thomas Berkery, IF, Mississippi State
2005 – Brian Pettway, OF, Ole Miss
2004 – Stephen Head, IF/P, Ole Miss