Two unhurt as fire destroys Dumas residence

Fire destroyed a 100-plus year old home in Dumas Saturday night, Aug. 1. It was the Dumas Volunteer Fire Department’s first structure fire of the year, firefighters said. Both residents escaped unharmed, but an explosion during the fire injured one firefighter, who was treated at the scene and not hospitalized. Dumas volunteer firefighters were dispatched to the home of Marie Smith, 83, on Miss. 370 about 9 p.m. following the 911 call. The house across the street from the Fire Department. Firefighters were told that Mrs. Smith was in the house when she realized it was on fire. Her grandson, Chad Smith, who lives with her, helped her escape. Neither was harmed.

Hank Wiesner/Southern Sentinel