Eagle Scout project is to build a patio at RHS
By Hank Weisner
RIPLEY – During their December meeting, South Tippah School Board trustees granted permission for Ripley Boy Scout Bryce Akins to construct a patio or a courtyard outside the Tiger Den at the high school as his Eagle Scout project.
The preliminary cost estimate is $2,050, and the project will be funded from contributions from the community, he said.
In a letter to the board, Akins outlined the project in detail.
“It will be 20×32 and wooden. It is to be on the vacant area between the Tiger Den and the Senior Wing of the high school. Since that area is sloped, we will have to put posts underneath the floor to keep it level. There will be rails 3 feet tall with 8 feet in between each post. The rails will consist of 2 planks of wood that will horizontally stretch the length of the posts. I will not put a roof on this,” he wrote.
He outlined several benefits from the project.
“Another courtyard will give students another area to eat breakfast/lunch or relax. It will help prevent congestion or overcrowding,” he wrote.
He said he plans to begin work on the project within 30 days and expects it to take one day to complete.
“Approximately 10 people will be needed to help on this project, including family, Boy Scouts, friends, and neighbors. I expect the most difficult part as far as leading them will be measuring everything off before we start our work. Someone might mess up with the measurements, and we would have to start over. After measuring, it should be pretty easy.
“My project will require nails and lumber. I will also need several saws, tape measure, and other construction equipment,” he said.
No permits are required for this project.
Tools will be brought to the construction site by the helpers.
About Chris Elkins
- BASEBALL: Panthers, Tigers head to NEMCABB Summer Tournament June 27, 2016
- Falkner’s Peterson inks baseball scholarship with Rust College July 13, 2016
- Ripley’s Norton named Athletic Director of the Year July 13, 2016
- Facebook post leads to arrest July 13, 2016
- Recycling drive set for July 21 July 13, 2016
- BMC Baseball signs power-hitting infielder July 21, 2016
- 12th Annual Historic Ripley Midnight 5k Run/Walk results July 21, 2016
- Story has no regrets about early enrollment July 21, 2016
- 2016 Walnut Municipal Park Baseball League T-Ball photos July 21, 2016
- Tippah conviction upheld July 20, 2016