Tippah County schools participate in holiday tournaments
BOONEVILLE–Following a break for Christmas, several Tippah County basketball teams returned to the floor as holiday tournaments get underway.
Thursday at Alcorn Central, Falkner began play in the Peggy Bain Memorial Scholarship Holiday Hoops Tournament. Today, Ripley plays at Booneville High School in the Booneville Kiwanis Classic and Pine Grove participates in the Baldwyn Rotary Classic at Baldwyn High School.
Today at 1 p.m., the Ripley Lady Tigers (10-3) face the Center Hill Lady Mustangs in what will be Ripley’s third straight game against competition in Class 5A or higher. They defeated Class 6A Olive Branch and lost to 6A Horn Lake at last weekend’s New Site Lady Royal Rumble.
Kaelin Kneeland leads the Lady Mustangs (11-3) with 17.8 points and 12. 4 rebounds per game, while Jayla Chills leads the Lady Tigers with 21.8 points per game.
The Tigers (11-2) against the Mustangs will follow at 2:30 p.m. Mustangs’ freshman point guard Job Vernor, a native of Ripley, averages 11 points and almost five assists per game. Malik Pearson’s 18 points per game leads Ripley.
Falkner in Peggy Bain Memorial Tournament
Thursday night, the Falkner Lady Eagles lost to the Alcorn Central Lady Golden Bears 77-30. Breanna Williams led Falkner with 12 points. Today, they face Hardin County (Tenn.) at 12:30 p.m. in Glen.
The Eagles will play Hardin County at 2 p.m. Thursday, they lost to Alcorn Central 61-26
Pine Grove at Baldwyn Rotary Classic
This afternoon, Pine Grove will participate in Baldwyn Rotary Classic. Both teams take on Saltillo, beginning with girls at noon.
About Kedrick StoreyBorn and raised in Ripley. Mississippi State graduate. Southern Sentinel sports writer since Sept. 29, 2008. I also offer ground support to the Northeast Mississippi Daily Journal.
- Ripley Baseball duo inks scholarships November 16, 2016
- ‘A Christmas Carol’ begins Dec. 8 at Dixie Theatre December 2, 2016
- WWII veterans meet for breakfast December 2, 2016
- Drug court now held in Ripley December 2, 2016
- Sentinel holding food drive for Good Samaritan Center December 2, 2016
- Walnut Christmas Parade is Monday, Dec. 12 December 9, 2016
- Walnut Christmas Parade Dec. 12 December 8, 2016
- Ripley Presbyterian, First United Methodist Church to present special service Sunday December 8, 2016
- ‘A Christmas Carol’ begins playing at the Dixie Theatre Thursday December 7, 2016
- Events planned in Tippah County December 7, 2016