Vance named MACJC Player of the Week
BOONEVILLE–Northeast Mississippi Community College sophomore guard Acie Vance of Ripley is known for being key in the clutch.
Vance’s last-moment heroics helped the Tiger basketball team secure a 78-68 win over Holmes Community College on Thursday, January 24. He sealed the win with a pair of three-pointers with less than two minutes to play to ice the 10-point victory.
With his performance against the Bulldogs, Vance was named the Mississippi Association of Community/Junior Colleges (MACJC) men’s basketball Player of the Week for the week of January 21-27.
Against the Bulldogs, Vance went for a game-high 29 points while pulling down six rebounds, swiping two steals and dishing out two assists. He went 8-of-11 from the floor against Holmes and nailed 75-percent of his shots from beyond the three-point arc (3-of-4) but it was at the charity stripe where Vance left his mark.
Vance, a former Ripley Tiger, connected on 10-for-13 from the free throw line for Northeast in the North Division victory.
While Vance was named the MACJC men’s basketball player of the week, Mississippi Gulf Coast Community College’s Markia Nix was selected as the women’s honoree after scoring back-to-back double-doubles for the Lady Bulldogs in a 62-53 win over Jones County (15 points, 10 rebounds) and 61-50 victory over Faulkner State, Alabama (20 points, 16 rebounds).
Both Vance and Nix could be named the National Junior College Athletic Association (NJCAA) Player of the Week for the week of January 21-27.
About Kedrick StoreyBorn and raised in Ripley. Mississippi State graduate. Southern Sentinel sports writer since Sept. 29, 2008. I also offer ground support to the Northeast Mississippi Daily Journal.
- BASEBALL: Panthers, Tigers head to NEMCABB Summer Tournament June 27, 2016
- Falkner’s Peterson inks baseball scholarship with Rust College July 13, 2016
- Ripley’s Norton named Athletic Director of the Year July 13, 2016
- Facebook post leads to arrest July 13, 2016
- Recycling drive set for July 21 July 13, 2016
- BMC Baseball signs power-hitting infielder July 21, 2016
- 12th Annual Historic Ripley Midnight 5k Run/Walk results July 21, 2016
- Story has no regrets about early enrollment July 21, 2016
- 2016 Walnut Municipal Park Baseball League T-Ball photos July 21, 2016
- Tippah conviction upheld July 20, 2016