Walnut man charged in shooting
By JB Clark
WALNUT – Walnut police and Tippah County Sheriff’s deputies responded to a dispute between neighbors in the Walnut Lake area around 5:45 p.m.
Tippah County Sheriff’s Chief Deputy Chris McCalister said they believe shots were fired between the neighbors and John Roberts, 36, of Walnut, allegedly peppered his neighbor’s arm with bird shot but did not seriously injure him.
Roberts then barricaded himself in his house with his girlfriend and two children who are 11 and 13 years old.
“He refused to talk to us, so we didn’t know the situation,” McCalister said. Highway Patrol and SWAT were called to assist and then shortly after midnight, Roberts came out of the house and was taken into custody without further incident.
Right now he is charged with attempted aggravated assault. Roberts is in the Tippah County Jail awaiting arraignment.
About Kedrick StoreyBorn and raised in Ripley. Mississippi State graduate. Southern Sentinel sports writer since Sept. 29, 2008. I also offer ground support to the Northeast Mississippi Daily Journal.
- Ripley Baseball duo inks scholarships November 16, 2016
- ‘A Christmas Carol’ begins Dec. 8 at Dixie Theatre December 2, 2016
- WWII veterans meet for breakfast December 2, 2016
- Drug court now held in Ripley December 2, 2016
- Sentinel holding food drive for Good Samaritan Center December 2, 2016
- Walnut Christmas Parade Dec. 12 December 8, 2016
- Ripley Presbyterian, First United Methodist Church to present special service Sunday December 8, 2016
- ‘A Christmas Carol’ begins playing at the Dixie Theatre Thursday December 7, 2016
- Events planned in Tippah County December 7, 2016
- Tots for Tots needs donations December 7, 2016