Walnut man charged in shooting
By JB Clark
WALNUT – Walnut police and Tippah County Sheriff’s deputies responded to a dispute between neighbors in the Walnut Lake area around 5:45 p.m.
Tippah County Sheriff’s Chief Deputy Chris McCalister said they believe shots were fired between the neighbors and John Roberts, 36, of Walnut, allegedly peppered his neighbor’s arm with bird shot but did not seriously injure him.
Roberts then barricaded himself in his house with his girlfriend and two children who are 11 and 13 years old.
“He refused to talk to us, so we didn’t know the situation,” McCalister said. Highway Patrol and SWAT were called to assist and then shortly after midnight, Roberts came out of the house and was taken into custody without further incident.
Right now he is charged with attempted aggravated assault. Roberts is in the Tippah County Jail awaiting arraignment.
About Kedrick StoreyBorn and raised in Ripley. Mississippi State graduate. Southern Sentinel sports writer since Sept. 29, 2008. I also offer ground support to the Northeast Mississippi Daily Journal.
- Gene ‘Sarge’ Ladnier fondly remembered September 6, 2016
- After five weeks, football coaches see good and bad September 22, 2016
- TOUGH NIGHT: Falkner, Ripley and Walnut fall on Friday September 24, 2016
- Square Signs September 26, 2016
- Lions Club to hold fundraiser September 26, 2016
- Ripley drops 2-4A opener to Lafayette October 1, 2016
- Hunt leads the way with six scores in Wildcats’ win October 1, 2016
- FRIDAY NIGHT PREVIEW: Falkner, Ripley and Walnut face division foes tonight September 30, 2016
- Walnut community turns out for “Lights for Sikes” September 29, 2016
- Berea M.B. Church celebrates 100 years September 29, 2016