Walnut man charged in shooting
By JB Clark
WALNUT – Walnut police and Tippah County Sheriff’s deputies responded to a dispute between neighbors in the Walnut Lake area around 5:45 p.m.
Tippah County Sheriff’s Chief Deputy Chris McCalister said they believe shots were fired between the neighbors and John Roberts, 36, of Walnut, allegedly peppered his neighbor’s arm with bird shot but did not seriously injure him.
Roberts then barricaded himself in his house with his girlfriend and two children who are 11 and 13 years old.
“He refused to talk to us, so we didn’t know the situation,” McCalister said. Highway Patrol and SWAT were called to assist and then shortly after midnight, Roberts came out of the house and was taken into custody without further incident.
Right now he is charged with attempted aggravated assault. Roberts is in the Tippah County Jail awaiting arraignment.
About Kedrick StoreyBorn and raised in Ripley. Mississippi State graduate. Southern Sentinel sports writer since Sept. 29, 2008. I also offer ground support to the Northeast Mississippi Daily Journal.
- Natural causes take life of RHS band director July 4, 2016
- Tippah conviction upheld July 20, 2016
- 2016 Walnut Municipal Park Baseball League T-Ball photos July 21, 2016
- Story has no regrets about early enrollment July 21, 2016
- 12th Annual Historic Ripley Midnight 5k Run/Walk results July 21, 2016
- 2016 Walnut Municipal Park Softball League photos July 27, 2016
- Tippah County coaches Bates, Vuncannon remember Pat Summitt July 27, 2016
- Tippah Countians attend June NEMCC boys’ basketball camp July 27, 2016
- Lewellen heads to Mrs. United States pageant July 27, 2016
- Weeks to be honored for retirement July 27, 2016