Walnut man charged in shooting
By JB Clark
WALNUT – Walnut police and Tippah County Sheriff’s deputies responded to a dispute between neighbors in the Walnut Lake area around 5:45 p.m.
Tippah County Sheriff’s Chief Deputy Chris McCalister said they believe shots were fired between the neighbors and John Roberts, 36, of Walnut, allegedly peppered his neighbor’s arm with bird shot but did not seriously injure him.
Roberts then barricaded himself in his house with his girlfriend and two children who are 11 and 13 years old.
“He refused to talk to us, so we didn’t know the situation,” McCalister said. Highway Patrol and SWAT were called to assist and then shortly after midnight, Roberts came out of the house and was taken into custody without further incident.
Right now he is charged with attempted aggravated assault. Roberts is in the Tippah County Jail awaiting arraignment.
About Kedrick StoreyBorn and raised in Ripley. Mississippi State graduate. Southern Sentinel sports writer since Sept. 29, 2008. I also offer ground support to the Northeast Mississippi Daily Journal.
- Tippah County Fair News August 10, 2016
- Walnut receives $75,000 grant for health initiative August 17, 2016
- Norton earns certification August 18, 2016
- Fall Planting Choices August 19, 2016
- HS FOOTBALL: Wildcats, Tigers, Eagles fall in Week 1 August 20, 2016
- HS Football: Wildcats reclaims Joe Bowl, Tigers rally for win August 27, 2016
- Tippah County slow-pitch tournament set for Saturday August 26, 2016
- Hunt makes return to the field, has big night in loss August 25, 2016
- Joe Bowl could come down to skilled players and fatigue August 25, 2016
- KEDRICK STOREY: It’s Joe Bowl time August 24, 2016